cristalized algae?

Oct 20, 2007
p.pines
I brush my walls at least once a week, but recently I've seen this hard algae attach to the walls not a lot but is there, and I would have to go under water to scrape it with an aluminum brush, has any one experienced this? Thank for your help...here are my readings: FC:5--CC:0--TC 5--PH 7.8--T/A 120--CYA 50--CH 120

Your test results don't indicate it but it is possible it is a combination of algae and calcium precipitation.

At some point, you would have had lower FC, higher pH, TA, and maybe even higher CH than you do now, but anything that difficult to remove would not very likely be algae alone.

FWIW, your test results don't indicate the likelihood of algae, either. Have you had low FC, high pH or a combination of those things prior?

yes i had, its been raining so hard here in s.Florida that is almost impossible to keep a good FC and ph, we had rain for 2 weeks in a row, plus 2 days ago we had almost 4 inches of rain and a lot of flooding I even had to drain the pool because it was spilling over from all the rain.

I would keep your PH at 7.2 with muratic Acid. The lower PH may help the crystals dissolve. Brush constantly as much as possible while the pool is at shock level. A couple things....

PH will read false high when you are shocking your pool, which is sounds like you need to do. So, first lower the PH down to 7.2. Wait an hour, and shock the pool based on the CYA level in your pool - refer to the CYA chart. You will need to test and add bleach frequently to maintain shock level. While the FC is above 10, the PH will read a false-high - ignore it, and only adjust the PH down to 7.2 IF THE FC IS BELOW 10. This is important, because if you try to adjust the ph while at shock level you could end up with pH that is too low, okay?

After your FC has held overnight (perform an overnight FC test to determine this) if you maintain a low PH level of 7.0-7.2 for awhile, while brushing, hopefully you can remove the crystals.... I assume this is a plaster pool, since you are using a metal brush?

If this is plaster, after this is taken care of and your levels are stable, you'll need to raise your CH it's too low for plaster. IF this isn't plaster, you shouldn't be using a metal brush on vinyl.

It would help us if you put your pool specs/info in your signature. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.