Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algea control with bbb

1. Back To Top    #1

algea control with bbb

If my chlorine levels are all on target and i am using the bbb method then would i still be adding "algeacide"?Or would that be the bbba method?lol.please inform me.
    18'x33' above ground
    jacuzzi 1.0hp 2 speed pump w/cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algea control with bbb

Most of us doing the BBB method do not need to use an algaecide.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So whether a person uses liqiud chlorine or trichlor as a primary sanitizer and this keeps the water at the proper levels then my question is did i really have to use algeacide at all?Or was this just another added expense?Still learning.
    18'x33' above ground

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, most of us doing BBB use either liquid chlorine/bleach or a SWG.

Every pool is different. If one needs an algaecide, we only recommend the PolyQuat60.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

So then,i should only use an algeacide if i have an algea situation out of control rather than just a preventative measure.I am ready to switch to bleach and i am already using borax to control my ph.Up until now i have been adding a maintenance dose of algeacide every week,something i do not need to do i think.still learning.
    18'x33' above ground

6. Back To Top    #6

If you're using trichlor then there's a pretty good chance your CYA level is 100 or higher, and in that case you do want to use a maintenance/preventative dose of algaecide. Do you know what your CYA level is?

Word is that algaecide is a reasonable preventative but not much use if the algae is already in full bloom. Which kinda makes you wonder why they call it an algaeCIDE but that's a different topic.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

If you use the BBB method then you don't use trichlor.
    Also, maybe BBB should be changed to BBB-T - BBB and Testing. Without testing with a good kit (see the Pool School) you're in the dark.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't recommend using an algaecide unless you know that you are going to be missing days of taking care of the pool occasionally. As long as you maintain the correct FC levels, algaecide isn't needed. One of the BBB principals is to never add things to the pool unless they are really needed. For most people most of the time algaecide isn't needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

O.k thats what i needed to know,algeacide should not be added unless needed.I use the taylor fas-dpd from leslies.My numbers last night
    fc 4.5
    cc .2
    ph 7.4
    ta 100
    cya 85
    I am about to convert to the bbb method,i have already been using borax and should use less once i switch to bleach.The trichlor has always brought my ph down.
    18'x33' above ground

10. Back To Top    #10

when/if you switch, make sure you get that chlorine level up soon.
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

11. Back To Top    #11

With a CYA of 85, and assuming you don't have a SWG, you should always keep FC at 7 or higher.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School