Need Help with PUMP ISSUES!

Jun 22, 2009
first off, I know nothing about pools/pumps so go easy on me fellas, but I will take any advice I can get at this point. So, the descriptions I give are all that I know when it comes to knowledge of pools.

Pool Background: One skimmer, NO main drain, one jet, and a jacuzzi magnum force pump that is located uphill from the pool, and about 50 feet away from the pool. (we just purchased this house with pool in january, and i've been told that the location of pump could present problems.)

well, I got the pump primed without issue. back pressure was 8-10. It was doing great until I decided to hook up the kreepy krauly vaccum. Like a fool, I did not fill the hose on the vacuum up with water prior to connecting it to the skimmer. I realized what happened about 10-15 minutes later. I shut off the pump, and disconnected the vacuum from the skimmer. At this point, I re-primed the pump. After re-priming it will not achieve a back pressure, and bubbles (not water) are coming out of the jet, and there is no suction happening at the skimmer. Please Help!!!!!! Sorry about the descriptions I gave folks, but it's the best I can come up with at this point in my learning phase about pools!

ahogue (bonehead)

If there's no back pressure it hasn't been primed yet. If you have a valve for the skimmer close it off when you fill the pump, then open it just as you turn it on. That will allow you to fill the pump all the way to the lid and will give it more water to work with when priming.

I did try the air release valve with no success(due to I haven't been able to get the pump primed yet :| . as far as priming it goes, there isn't a valve for the skimmer, so i've been filling up the pump while my wife has her hand covering the skimmer (arkansas valve). This also, has not worked. Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Any other hints you got would be really appreciated.

adam

problem solved! The o-ring apparently was no good. I replaced it, and it has maintained it's prime, BUT there is intermittent flow coming out of the jet now. It's almost like you can hear the pump give/take, give/take. The pump is primed and the gauge is reading from 5 psi to 0, during the intermittent flow delivered via the jet.

Any suggestions with this?

Was it the lid o-ring you replaced? If so, take a look at the other two suction penetrations: drain plug and plumbing inlet. Both those could be leaking air with the pump on. Again, the pump isn't staying fully primed.

Also possible that a dirty filter could be giving you this issue, so if you have the option you may want to get the pump started on recirculate / bypass to pool, and then switch to filter once it's running (turning the pump off to move the valve of course).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.