Thread: need some chem advice please

1. Back To Top    #1

need some chem advice please

Well,here are my numbers
    fc 4.5
    cc .2
    ph 7.4
    cya 85
    I am still using up the last 4 or 5 lbs of trichlor (3" tablets) because i did not want to waste them.I would like to switch over to bleach when they are gone.This i am guessing is the main cause for the high cya reading.My question is should i switch now before the cya goes too high ?
    This is the first time i have checked it,and have been using the tablets for 2 seasons now.My pool is an 18' x 33' above ground ,15,000 gallons.
    18'x33' above ground
    jacuzzi 1.0hp 2 speed pump w/cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need some chem advice please

I would stop using the tablets and save them for vacation or next year if your CYA is low after opening.

Your FC is on the low end with your CYA being 85. The lowest it should be is 6 with your high CYA as it stands. You may be better off draining a bit or if you don't mind adding a bit more chlorine, waiting for splash out ect by adding more water.

Have you read up on Pool School yet? You should check it out.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Does this mean that i should keep the fc to that level?Will the cya come down eventually or will i have to drain some?Good idea about the vacation thing,i never thought of that.
    18'x33' above ground

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't list your pool specs and equipment. If you have a sand filter, it will slowly lower thru backwashing/water replacement. Otherwise you should drain a little out to lower the level, at least to 60 that will be more manageable.

Maintain your FC levels according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. Add enough bleach/liquid chlorine each nite to keep your FC above the minimum, and use the "target" as your goal when you are determining how much to add.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I Would like to add that info,but do not know how.Do i use the attach file comment box?
    18'x33' above ground

6. Back To Top    #6

Best to put it in your "signature." In the upper left of this page under the big TFP logo you'll see "User Control Panel." Click on that, then in Options, click Profile, then Edit Signature. You're allowed 5 lines.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

I run my cartridge filter on low 24/7.
    18'x33' above ground

8. Back To Top    #8

Me too (cart/24-7).

I started on TFP in May 2007 and my CYA was over 100. I did 2 partial drains, about 1/3 down each time. Got my CYA down to 70 and kept it there the rest of the summer. Then the following May I did another partial drain and got the level down to 50.

I had to add CYA this year. We had sooo much rain last fall and this spring that my levels dissappeared below 20.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com