vermiculite screed coat mix design

Jun 22, 2009
I am building my 18x36 in groud pool and had a question regarding the 2" screed coat on the bottom. I think that I want to mix my own rather than purchase pre-mixed bags of screed mix. I have seen that there are two real options with the first being cement + vermiculite, and the second cement+vermiculite+mason sand. I think I like the latter mix better as it will tend to thin out the vermiculite and cure a bit harder. Does anyone know the mix proportions for the cement+vermiculite+mason sand screed bottom? I believe I should be looking for the medium vermiculite, correct?

Thanks,
Mark O'C

Mine was all a cement mix. No stone, very heavy grout type mix. Concrete company poured it, PB's guys troweled it. No help here either. sorry.

My opinion having seen vermiculite, sand, concrete, i would do the concrete/grout type bottom. But, i'm sure there are opposing opinions.

Welcome to TFP!!

I guess it all depends on how much you like the liner. Sand and cement will wear on the liner more quickly and also not let water pass through it as well as the vermiculite mix.

It's your choice, but I'd stick with just the vermiculite :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.