Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to look?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Muskegon, Michigan

Where to look?

What is the best way to look at your chemicals when testing (I use theTF-100 test kit)? Do you hold them toward the sky, put a white piece of paper behind them, look at them in the garage, outside by the pool....?

The colors seem to be slightly different dependent upon what the test is being held up to. Just wondering if there is a standard procedure that is recommended.

Pool Size/Type: 12' x 24' x 52" Intex AG Rectangular Pool
    8,400 gallons
    Filter Type: SWG combined with a 2,000 GPH pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Where to look?

Color matching, such as the PH test, should be done indirect sunlight either against the northern sky or a white background. If doing the test indoors you really want to use a sunlight simulator. Indoors, you can kind of get away with a brightly lit white sheet of paper, but the results won't be as accurate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Toms River, NJ

I use a white background, my house. Keep a white piece of paper 8 1/2x11 in the test kit.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

I use the north eastern sky mainly for my pool pH and when I check my neighbor's pool pH, I use the other neighbor's white house.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Eastern Pennsylvania

I hold the pH tube up against a roll of white paper towels. There are times when the difference between 7.5 and 7.8 seems a little fuzzy but since water within that range is fine I tend not to sweat it.

Those yellows though for the chlorine? Forget it. They look all the same to me. I'm so happy for the pink-to-clear test.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.