Any easier way to clean surface of water?

May 26, 2009
Seminole, FL
I seem to be getting a lot of floating Crud in my pool lately. Stuff from the trees, grass clippings, bugs, dog hair.. My skimmer doesn't seem to do a real good job of removing them. I have a net on a pole that I use, but is there any easier way than walking around the pool for an hour with a net? It wasn't this bad earlier in the year, I think maybe its just spring but its still annoying.

if you can point your returns to one side...run your filter and the water should move in one direction...then just move your surface skimmer from the midle to the edge of your pool...repeat about 20 times...that does it for me

Unfortunately I only have 1 return.. (Well, thats not entirely true).. but for all practical purposes just one. I have an in-floor pool cleaning system that are also technically returns but its not working and it just blows water 'up' for now out of one of the floor returns. So adjusting the returns won't help much, although I did take the one return I do have in the wall and pointed it up but it still doesn't seem to help much.

Sounds like your actuator may need new gears or floats, inside it - that may be why your infloor returns are not working.

Under your skimmer basket - Do you have what is called a float valve? - Looks like a space ship - if so, it may be broken or the little swivel flap on the bottom may be closed too much or totally closed. That would cause low skimmer action. You may need to purchase a new float valve. The swivel flap should normally be closed about half way so you get about equal action from the skimmer and the main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.