Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any easier way to clean surface of water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any easier way to clean surface of water?

I seem to be getting a lot of floating **** in my pool lately. Stuff from the trees, grass clippings, bugs, dog hair.. My skimmer doesn't seem to do a real good job of removing them. I have a net on a pole that I use, but is there any easier way than walking around the pool for an hour with a net? It wasn't this bad earlier in the year, I think maybe its just spring but its still annoying.
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any easier way to clean surface of water?

You might consider a Pool Skim.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

http://www.intheswim.com/Automatic-Pool ... l-Skimmer/

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... t/Skim-It/

can you increase the suction to the skimmer as opposed to the main drain?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

if you can point your returns to one side...run your filter and the water should move in one direction...then just move your surface skimmer from the midle to the edge of your pool...repeat about 20 times...that does it for me
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Unfortunately I only have 1 return.. (Well, thats not entirely true).. but for all practical purposes just one. I have an in-floor pool cleaning system that are also technically returns but its not working and it just blows water 'up' for now out of one of the floor returns. So adjusting the returns won't help much, although I did take the one return I do have in the wall and pointed it up but it still doesn't seem to help much.
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

i have one as well...instead of up..try pointing it to the right or left...away from your skimmer
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like your actuator may need new gears or floats, inside it - that may be why your infloor returns are not working.

Under your skimmer basket - Do you have what is called a float valve? - Looks like a space ship - if so, it may be broken or the little swivel flap on the bottom may be closed too much or totally closed. That would cause low skimmer action. You may need to purchase a new float valve. The swivel flap should normally be closed about half way so you get about equal action from the skimmer and the main drain.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.