The chemicals that came with my pool..

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Okay, the 100 questions starts.....

do I keep any of these?

I have one bottle of Calypso "Protect" Pool Stabilizer and conditioner. (sounds like granules) Am I right in assuming this is CYA? Is this what I put in my pool at the very start to control the loss of chlorine?

An opening kit consisting of

1 bottle of Calypso 40 liquid algaecide concentrate
1 bottle of Calypso Ferrous (liquid)
1 container of Calypso "FAST" shock treatment (quick acting chlorine free) (sounds like granules)

Also I have a 21 ft round 54 inch high AG pool. When I calculate my volume, do I put in those figures or something less for the height where the waterline will be at?

Thankyou

main thing you're missing here is ingredients. Pool Stabilizer and conditioner sounds like cya. check the ingredients. algaecide is garbage if you use this website's method of pool care (and if you don't, you should use a polyquat 60). ferrous, no idea but isn't that the latin name for iron? is it a sequestrant? "FAST" shock treatment again, need the ingredients. it may be ok, it may not be, but without the ingredients and a full test result listing, it's hard to say.

aqualicious said:
Okay, the 100 questions starts.....

do I keep any of these?

I have one bottle of Calypso "Protect" Pool Stabilizer and conditioner. (sounds like granules) Am I right in assuming this is CYA? Is this what I put in my pool at the very start to control the loss of chlorine?
This is CYA, a keeper! The ingredients should say cyanuric acid, isocyanuric acid, or s-triazintrione
An opening kit consisting of

1 bottle of Calypso 40 liquid algaecide concentrate
This is a linear quaternary algaecide. It is not the type we recommonend and will foam and cause the eyes to sting. NOT recommended and NOT needed. Junk it!

1 bottle of Calypso Ferrous (liquid)
This is a metal sequesterant. A keeper. You might not need it but it is handy to have 'just in case". If you KNOW that your fill water has iron, copper, or manganese then you need to use a sequesterant.
1 container of Calypso "FAST" shock treatment (quick acting chlorine free) (sounds like granules)
From what I have been able to find out this is just non chlorine shock (MPS) and it is more useful in an indoor pool or a spa than an outdoor pool. It won't hurt anything to use it up but you really don't need it.
Also I have a 21 ft round 54 inch high AG pool. When I calculate my volume, do I put in those figures or something less for the height where the waterline will be at?
Put in the actual water level, which is probably going to be 4 feet giving you a volume of approx. 10000 gallons. (It's actually slightly higher but use 10000 because the difference won't be really noticeable and it will make your life much easier to just call it 10K and call it a night! :wink: )
Thankyou
From what I have been able to find out Calypso products are mainly sold in Canada and seem to be a 'private label' or house brand line.

thankyou.

Reebok Unfortunetly none of my bottles have any ingredients listed on them anywhere....and a google search has proved fruitless.

On the Protect bottle all I have is directions for use:

To achieve maximum sanitizer efficiency and to prevent chlorine loss due to ultraviolet rays, your pool water stabilizer's level should be within the recommended range of 30-100ppm. The ideal range is 30-50ppm. Maintaining the ideal level of stabilizer will make it possible to keep chlorine residuals under control.

1. Maintain proper daily levels (gives similar levels as recommended here for FC,PH,TA,CH)
2.Protect residual chlorine from being destroyed by the sun's rays by adding 300g of "Protect" per 10000L (2642gallons) of pool water slowly in the skimmer in order to reach and initial level of 30ppm
3. To adjust the stabilizer level 10g of Protect per level by 1pmm

Still sounds right as CYA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.