Best way to remove dead algae sludge?

Hmmm... I tried my vac without the head on it to get into the niche behind my steps. I only accomplished getting the hose stuck on the flat surfaces due to the suction many times over. It sounds like you may have to vac and let it settle again a few times before you get the job done. I flocced my pool once and I think that is what I did.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bryan said:
Yes I definitely will vac to waste, but should I just use the hose end or something, because the vac head I have is about a foot and a half wide and no matter how slow I seem to go, it still stirs up a mess? Thanks!
An 18" vac head? Is it a brush or wheel head because that size is usually getting into professional heads and most of them have wheels.
Wheel heads can be used with vinyl liners if you are very careful and are usually much better than brush heads. They should not disturb the settled floc if you are vacuuming SLOWLY!
IF you have a brush head look at it. Is there a brush in front of the vacuum hole like this

__
O

or do you have the brushes arranged to funnel the dirt to the vacuum hole like this?

\ /
O

The second configuration will do a much better job of vacuuming without stirring up everything.
Unfortunately, the first confuration is much more common in vinyl vac heads.

Sorry waterbear, I misspoke. The 18" wide head I have is actually not for the vac, it's just the crud picker upper with the flat lip on it. The head for the manual vac is round, no brushes, with little wheels inboard, suction hole in the middle. The automatic vac seems to work best, but there's no way to control it. I'm thinking about maybe duct taping my telescoping pole to the hose so I can maneuver it.

Bryan said:
I may try hopping in the pool with just the hose and trying to suck it up that way. Maybe I can rig up an extra-long snorkel so I can really see what I'm doing :lol: Thanks for the help!
I'll usually do that do save time, since you can keep moving and reach further, have better control etc. But be careful - usually flocked dirt/algae is on there pretty loosely, and the motion of your feet will cause enough of a current to stir that stuff right up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.