Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to remove dead algae sludge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to remove dead algae sludge?

I used a flocculent and now almost all of the dead algae has collected in an 8' circle in the middle of the pool. What's the best way to get it out without stirring it up and clouding the water again? Thanks!
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to remove dead algae sludge?

Vac to waste.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

3. Back To Top    #3

The best way to vac without stirring up too much is to do it VERY slowly and deliberately... of course vacuuming to waste in this manner will cause a lot of water loss.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I definitely will vac to waste, but should I just use the hose end or something, because the vac head I have is about a foot and a half wide and no matter how slow I seem to go, it still stirs up a mess? Thanks!
    Freeform marcite IG, approx 8000 gal, 1 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter, BBB method

5. Back To Top    #5

Hmmm... I tried my vac without the head on it to get into the niche behind my steps. I only accomplished getting the hose stuck on the flat surfaces due to the suction many times over. It sounds like you may have to vac and let it settle again a few times before you get the job done. I flocced my pool once and I think that is what I did.

Good luck!
    27' round AG

6. Back To Top    #6

I may try hopping in the pool with just the hose and trying to suck it up that way. Maybe I can rig up an extra-long snorkel so I can really see what I'm doing Thanks for the help!

7. Back To Top    #7

Also - I have a vac head which has small wheels and NO brushes for jobs like the one you describe.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

8. Back To Top    #8

Now that sounds like a good option!
    27' round AG

9. Back To Top    #9

I have one like that too, only problem is, it's for use with a garden hose! Maybe I could rig it up for use with the vac hose?

10. Back To Top    #10

Duct tape? Might work for a short time.
    27' round AG

11. Back To Top    #11

LOL! I might try it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Yes I definitely will vac to waste, but should I just use the hose end or something, because the vac head I have is about a foot and a half wide and no matter how slow I seem to go, it still stirs up a mess? Thanks!
    An 18" vac head? Is it a brush or wheel head because that size is usually getting into professional heads and most of them have wheels.
    Wheel heads can be used with vinyl liners if you are very careful and are usually much better than brush heads. They should not disturb the settled floc if you are vacuuming SLOWLY!
    IF you have a brush head look at it. Is there a brush in front of the vacuum hole like this

__
    O

or do you have the brushes arranged to funnel the dirt to the vacuum hole like this?

\ /
    O

The second configuration will do a much better job of vacuuming without stirring up everything.
    Unfortunately, the first confuration is much more common in vinyl vac heads.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry waterbear, I misspoke. The 18" wide head I have is actually not for the vac, it's just the crud picker upper with the flat lip on it. The head for the manual vac is round, no brushes, with little wheels inboard, suction hole in the middle. The automatic vac seems to work best, but there's no way to control it. I'm thinking about maybe duct taping my telescoping pole to the hose so I can maneuver it.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    I may try hopping in the pool with just the hose and trying to suck it up that way. Maybe I can rig up an extra-long snorkel so I can really see what I'm doing Thanks for the help!
    I'll usually do that do save time, since you can keep moving and reach further, have better control etc. But be careful - usually flocked dirt/algae is on there pretty loosely, and the motion of your feet will cause enough of a current to stir that stuff right up.
    Intex 24' by 52" round metal frame vinyl holding about 12,500 gals.
    Krystal clear Model 633 Filter Pump Cartridge 1/2 HP Pump
    TF Test Kit (Thanks Dave) Located Central Texas Coast