Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diluting for FC test????

1. Back To Top    #1

Diluting for FC test????

I am out of the DPD powder. Ordered more yesterday. New pool. I have added enough CYA to be 50. Shock level is 20. Numbers overnight were
    FC 20 Last night
    FC 17 6A.M. today
    CC 0 6A.M. today
    Brought back to shock level this a.m.
    Question is, can I dilute my pool water enough to use the Taylor test and get an semi accurate idea of where I stand????
    I feel like I have been winning the war on clearing up my pool since the war started Friday.(thanks to TFP) I really don't want to go backwards at this point.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diluting for FC test????

You can dilute 50/50 with water that you know has no chlorine in it, like distilled water. Double the result. It's not super accurate though, not enough to do an overnight test.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

So I couldn't dilute,say, 5:1??? That's what I would need to do to be able to see if I had close to 20ppm. Then multilple my results x5.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Nah, the accuracy would be way off.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

So what should I do till I get the DPD powder??
    Lynn

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, your CYA is/should be 40 based on what you added, right?

Why are you shocking to 20? (to speed it up?)

I would go ahead and shock to 12-16. Use the dilution test to test up to 10. You can go slightly overboard when determining how much chlorine to add, you'll end up above 10, KWIM.

So use the OTO, and if the dilution sample looks less than 5 (you want it to be a dark orangey yellow for it to be around/above 10... then add more if the results aren't where you want them. I hope that makes sense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Well, your CYA is/should be 40 based on what you added, right?
    I added 2 more lbs Saturday cause the heat and sun has been relentless here in Tn.
    Why are you shocking to 20? (to speed it up?)
    With CYA at 50, that's what my target is.
    I would go ahead and shock to 12. Use the dilution test to test up to 10. You can go slightly overboard when determining how much chlorine to add, you'll end up above 10, KWIM.

So use the OTO, and if the dilution sample looks less than 5 (you want it to be a dark orangey yellow for it to be around/above 10... then add more if the results aren't where you want them. I hope that makes sense.
    Yes that makes sense, but with a target of 20 might not work. When I ordered my kit from Dave, I got it in 3 days, so maybe I'll get it Wed. I just don't want to go backwards.
    Lynn

8. Back To Top    #8

I hear ya. It's hard, cause you are basically guessing. But I think you will lose the FC you add pretty rapidly cause of how green it was....and by the time the powder comes you should be in good shape. I don't think it will hurt anything these few times if you do go over.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you sooooo much FPMom
    Lynn