Are the TF100 test kit chemicals dangerous???

Jun 6, 2009
I recently bought a TF100 Test kits and I was wondering where do you guys perform your test???
I've performed most of my tests inside my garage. The garage is next to the pool. But I've also done some test inside my house. Also after I complete my test I always discard the water in a corner of my backyard or if I'm in the house in my sink.

Are the chemicals in the test kit dangerous that I shouldn't dump the water down my kitchen sink when testing inside my house???

Thanks.

The chemistry you use is of such low volume and so diluted, you could probably drink it. (please don't do that :lol: )

Nevertheless, I test in the kitchen and pour all of the leftover solutions into a 16 oz cup. I then fill the cup with water and pitch it into the yard.

Each person's comfort level is a bit different. I know many folks who put it right back in the pool. maybe 2-3 fl oz of solution in the average 20k pool makes for pretty good dilution, IMO, but others will prefer not to do that, regardles of how dilute it is.

gugarci said:
Great,
Thanks for replies. I just wanted to make my actions were not causing any danger to my family. Specially for when I test indoors and dump to the sink.
The chemicals in the test kit are no more dangerous than many things you already have around the house. DPD powder is about as dangerous as hair dye (DPD is used as a dye base in hair dye) One of the CH readents is a very dilute sodium hydroxide solution (LYE) but very dilute. If you have any drain cleaner in the house it is far more dangerous.
The TA titrant is very dilute sulfuric acid. If you have any liquid toilet bowl cleaner in the house it's a stronger acid!

The reagents do deserve respect but they are nothing to be afraid of!

Some water testing chemicals can be damaging to cultured marble sinks. I used to test water a LOT for fish tanks, and something I dripped on the bathroom sink stained it badly. Can't recall what the solution was testing for, the drops themselves were clear and I failed to rinse the sink afterwards. Later these brown spots appeared, got worse with time. I eventually tried to sandpaper them off but the stain went very deep into the cultured marble material. Those tests were for Nitrates, phophates, chlorine and other things for planted fishtanks.

Kinda funny that my last hobby was about growing things in water, now I try to not grow things in water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.