Help! Leaks around threads of pump and heater

Jul 6, 2008
Hi, I am setting up all this pool equipment myself for a small aboveground pool and have a problem with steady dripping leaks around the threads from the pump and from the heater. I have wrapped some teflon tape on the plastic connectors that screw into the pump and heater and I've tightened them as much as I can with a wrench and there are still slow steady drips coming out. There don't seem to be any leaks coming from the hoses, which are clamped on tight. Is there a certain method or technique I'm missing that will help me seal up these leaks? Am I supposed to wrap a lot more teflon tape around the threads or add some kind of rubber seal?
I would greatly appreciate help or advice with this!
Thanks,
Orlee

Yeah, typically teflon tape doesn't seem to work as well on the larger (say over 1") fittings. Properly applied the tape can work on much larger fittings but the thread sealant seems a little more foolproof.

I really like the neatness of teflon tape but I personally don't use it over 1".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RTV is silicone sealant / gasketing type stuff...

One of the things that I tend to use is "Rector-Seal" pipe dope, same stuff my plumber uses on potable water lines, and black-iron gas and hydronic heating lines. What he does, and says is a very good technique (and I haven't had any leaks on stuff I've done this way) is to put down a layer of dope a couple wraps of teflon tape(make sure you wrap it in the correct direction!) and another layer of dope over the teflon - brush the dope on in the same direction you wrapped the tape...

The standard directions on the Rector-seal can say 3 turns past hand tight for black iron, I try to get at least two turns and bring the fittings into alignment on the third... It's messy but it works good.

Gooserider

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.