Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vaseline vs POOL STORE/Silicone Lube?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vaseline vs POOL STORE/Silicone Lube?

I wasn't sure were to put this so I figured it's an EVERYTHING ELSE ... .

I was talking to some very smart mechanic type persons about my pool and when I mentioned the silicone POOL STORE lube I put around the rings and use on just about every moving part that needs to keep moving (I was discussing IF I should lube up the inner working parts of my WANDA WHALE that's moving a little slower these days) ... they BOTH said I didn't need the POOL LUBE and should use VASELINE instead. I thought VASELINE was a NO GO for pool parts and o-rings and anything else pool related. I know both these guys have HAD pools but I thought I'd come here for the TRUTH on the matter.

So - can I save $6 and switch to vaseline? (even though I have at least 2 full tubes of the stuff because I always pick one up because I foget if I have any. HA!)

Are there applications where vaseline would be prefered to silcone/pool store lube?

Can I lube the gears and moving parts of my Wanda Whale to get her to move better?

When I opened up and checked each piece of my Wanda Whale the other day, I found no parts WITH lube on it. Next step, I'm going to clean the pool filter today - even though the pressure indicator hasn't moved but it just seems to me the suction is low. Then maybe buy her some new feet (she's about 3 or 4 seasons old now) and then unless I get a DO NOT DO IT notice here - I'm going to lube her up and see if that gets her going like her old self.

thanks,

dpool
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vaseline vs POOL STORE/Silicone Lube?

Having used Vaseline on aquarium filter parts once I'd NEVER EVER use it on pool parts. Every rubber O ring or gasket I used Vaseline on got hard. Silicone left the same parts in great condition but was not really able to recondition the parts that I had messed up with Vaseline.

I cannot tell you why Vaselline did that but I know that it did. Maybe the pros can tell you why. Given how expensive pool parts are, and I thought a $250 Eheim aquarium filter was pricey, it's crazy to risk damage to save $8 for a tube of silicone lube.

OTOH, Vaseline is great for rough hands or feet, should you do a bit of damage to your hands by picking up a 3" puck with bare hands.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

never ever use petroleum based products in a pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Never use petroleum products on anything rubber! Why do you think they say not to use Vaseline or mineral oil as a personal lubricant? Same thing can happen to your o rings!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks - got it. That's what I thought but I didn't want to say - you guys are idiots. Maybe it's different with mechanical motors and such. I don't know.

ALSO - since no one said - don't do it - I took Wanda completely apart and pool store/silicone lube'd her up (all except the gear box that was working fine.) She's turning - slowly - so I think it has to do with her shoes - which are on order. We'll see.

dpool
    9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I'd change the pod kit. Out of everyone I've ever worked, changing the pods has fixed them.

7. Back To Top    #7

Changing the subject, but what am I supposed to be lubing on the pool? I've had the pool about 2 years now and haven't lubricated anything. Where are these hard to find O-rings yall are talking about?
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

8. Back To Top    #8

My cartridge filter has a huge O-ring in between the top and bottom halves. I treat that one like I was instructed to treat my pricy Eheim aquarium filter O-ring, that is I wash it with soap and water then grease it up really well with silicone lube (while wearing disposable plastic gloves from $1 store). Wash the track it sits in with a brush or something also. I know there are other O-rings inside the Polaris but that isn't apart often enough to worry about.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I've let the pool guy do the cartridge filter cleaning until now. He told me to use a drum and muriatic acid. Now that I've read how to do it here, I'll be doing it in the next week or two. I'll lube it up while it's all disassembled.
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    I'd change the pod kit. Out of everyone I've ever worked, changing the pods has fixed them.
    Well, since the shoes are on order, I'll wait to see what happens when I get those installed.

The PODS are the things that ROCK back and forth -right? I did checked them for any wear and don't see anything worn and they rock individually without any PLAY so ... info noted and I'll take it into consideration. If the new shoes don't help, I guess POD kits are the next step. That makes sense, too since the gears don't have any breaks or cracks or missing teeth, etc.

I just don't want to spend more on PARTS for this Wanda and then end up having to get a new (sniff sniff) Whale.

Thanks

dpool

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker
    Thanks. I've let the pool guy do the cartridge filter cleaning until now. He told me to use a drum and muriatic acid. Now that I've read how to do it here, I'll be doing it in the next week or two. I'll lube it up while it's all disassembled.
    First.... you probably ought to investigate the use of muratic acid on the website of the company that makes your cartridge filter. Muriatic acid may not be recommended by the manufacturer. See this link....http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/acidwash.htm then see this site http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Fil...s-Chlorine.htm and there are similar instructions here on TFP if you search it.

Finally... I suspect that you don't HAVE a week or two to do this, if 50 psi was on the gauge. As pressure climbs, you risk blowing out the cartridge and the one I have has 4 carts that cost $120 each ($90 after much price shopping in a big city). ('Course, if the pool guy has been acid washing it, it may be trashed already?) That all depends on what that pressure gauge says and how the flow is around the pool right now. On my pool, the returns make ripples at the surface and the spa spillover splashes down about 6" from the wall when clean, maybe 3" when dirty - but you have to recall what 'clean' looks like to have those visual checks.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker
    First.... you probably ought to investigate the use of muratic acid on the website of the company that makes your cartridge filter. Muriatic acid may not be recommended by the manufacturer. See this link....http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/acidwash.htm then see this site http://www.backyardcitypools.com/Fil...s-Chlorine.htm and there are similar instructions here on TFP if you search it.

Finally... I suspect that you don't HAVE a week or two to do this, if 50 psi was on the gauge. As pressure climbs, you risk blowing out the cartridge and the one I have has 4 carts that cost $120 each ($90 after much price shopping in a big city). ('Course, if the pool guy has been acid washing it, it may be trashed already?) That all depends on what that pressure gauge says and how the flow is around the pool right now. On my pool, the returns make ripples at the surface and the spa spillover splashes down about 6" from the wall when clean, maybe 3" when dirty - but you have to recall what 'clean' looks like to have those visual checks.
    I'm planning on cleaning it per pool school.

My pressure is around 15 psi if memory serves. Someone else must ahve mentioned the 50 #.

I do need to get it done though. Especially since I just had to do Vit. C treatment on iron stains.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just to add to the original question, there is a cheaper alternative. While I wouldn't recommend you use Vaseline or any other petroleum based lubrication, you should be able to use most silicon based lubricants, which you will probably find much cheaper in your local hardware store vs. something fancy the pool store sells you. Often, they are the exact same thing, even from the same source, just with different packaging.
    Jim

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Just to add to the original question, there is a cheaper alternative. While I wouldn't recommend you use Vaseline or any other petroleum based lubrication, you should be able to use most silicon based lubricants, which you will probably find much cheaper in your local hardware store vs. something fancy the pool store sells you. Often, they are the exact same thing, even from the same source, just with different packaging.
    Having worked at an Ace Hardware I can tell you that we did not have anything that was the same as the silicone and Teflon based lubes sold for pool use. We did have some silcone based sprays but no silicone 'grease' nor Teflon 'grease' that looked anything like the pool lubes.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good info here. Just want to ask if "silicone based" is what one looks for to lubricate. I bought this... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016GTSBY/ref ... nkCode=asn It is supposed to be a good lubricant, but now I see that it is not silicon. Does it need to say that on the label?

Can I spray this on an o-ring? I did use it on a hard-to-turn Home Depot brand 2 inch pvc valve and it IMMEDIATELY seized up on me. lol I couldn't even turn it anymore. Not sure why that happened.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

For teflon this is what you want
    http://www.poolsaz.com/PhotoDetails.asp ... ctCode=630

For Silicone it's this
    http://www.allpoolcartridges.com/images ... licone.jpg

There are other brands available but Magic Lube is pretty much a standard. It's often at rip off prices on the net so check locally.
    The 1 oz tube of teflon should just be a few bucks and the silicone maybe a dollar more.

The 1 oz tube should last for a few years!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Waterbear. I was wondering how long they lasted. Didn't think that size would last too long. Good to know.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    For teflon this is what you want
    http://www.poolsaz.com/PhotoDetails.asp ... ctCode=630

For Silicone it's this
    http://www.allpoolcartridges.com/images ... licone.jpg

There are other brands available but Magic Lube is pretty much a standard. It's often at rip off prices on the net so check locally.
    The 1 oz tube of teflon should just be a few bucks and the silicone maybe a dollar more.

The 1 oz tube should last for a few years!
    Hmmm - I didn't realize there was a teflon and a silicone type - got mine at LESLIE's - it's always right by the checkout desk - which is why I have three tubes!

Okay, so I just looked at the tube:

Leslie's POOL & SPA LUBE featuring DuPont Chemical Resistand Flurorpolymers (for) Use on: O-Rings Gaskets Valves Threaded parts - Seals & Protects, Prevents Chemical attacks - 3.5 oz about $6. So what's this stuff? Should I pick up the MAGIC LUBE I & II now that I've been using the LESLIE's product would it cause a problem? I do remember having a tube of MAGIC LUBE. I must have left it in the sun because I remember it separated.

By the way - Wanda just needed NEW SHOES! I put on the new ones this morning and she just scooted across the pool bottom, climbed up 1/2 the wall and spun in both directions (in time)! YA! No pods required. Whew!

dpool

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by dpool
    Leslie's POOL & SPA LUBE featuring DuPont Chemical Resistand Flurorpolymers (for) Use on: O-Rings Gaskets Valves Threaded parts - Seals & Protects, Prevents Chemical attacks - 3.5 oz about $6. So what's this stuff?
    Teflon based lube. Basically the same as Magic Lube. it's fine.

20. Back To Top    #20

I found a great source for silicone lube. The tube form the pool store is so thick it is impossible to spread. I was at Home Depot in the plumbing aisle and discovered a small container of silicone lube hanging next to the faucet rebuild parts. Much softer and easier to spread and much cheaper.
    In ground 15 X 33 10,400 gal. Fiberglass
    Two Returns, Two main drains, One skimmer
    Aqua Logic SWG, Hayward TriStar 1.5HP
    Hayward C3025 (325 sq /ft) Cartirdge Filter
    Solar Heater (Details at http://www.bakerlabs.com/solar)