Calcium Hardness 700ppm - how big of problem?

LBTRS

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, we have a 1 year old pool (finished and opened Aug 08) in Phoenix AZ. Water here is super hard. I read my CH at 590, pool store puts it at 700ppm. How big of issue is this and what should I do if anything? Started out when new around 350ppm. The pool store showed me a bottle of "Cal Rite" which is supposed to lower CH about 400ppm, however, he said I would then have to do something with scale? Any recommendations, how high should I let it get?

Water is crystal clear and pool is beautiful.

Here are my numbers with a the TF100.

Water temp: 88 degrees

FC: 7
CC: 0
Ph: 7.2
TA: 90
CYA: 70
CH: 590
Salt: 3200 (rec range 2700-3400)

Thank you.

High CH levels can be managed by keeping the PH and TA levels fairly low.

In an arid climate with high CH fill water you need to do this or be refilling the pool every a month or two.

With careful attention to PH, CH levels up to about 1,200 can be managed.

flintstone said:
Your FC seems a bit high for an SWG pool. The more you run your SWG, the more you will chase increasingly higher pH. Just curious as to the setting you are currently using.

It's on 35%. It is normally at around 4-5 FC, however, I ran the pump/swg for 24 hours after a large group swam in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.