Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness 700ppm - how big of problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness 700ppm - how big of problem?

Ok, we have a 1 year old pool (finished and opened Aug 08) in Phoenix AZ. Water here is super hard. I read my CH at 590, pool store puts it at 700ppm. How big of issue is this and what should I do if anything? Started out when new around 350ppm. The pool store showed me a bottle of "Cal Rite" which is supposed to lower CH about 400ppm, however, he said I would then have to do something with scale? Any recommendations, how high should I let it get?

Water is crystal clear and pool is beautiful.

Here are my numbers with a the TF100.

Water temp: 88 degrees

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    Ph: 7.2
    TA: 90
    CYA: 70
    CH: 590
    Salt: 3200 (rec range 2700-3400)

Thank you.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness 700ppm - how big of problem?

High CH levels can be managed by keeping the PH and TA levels fairly low.

In an arid climate with high CH fill water you need to do this or be refilling the pool every a month or two.

With careful attention to PH, CH levels up to about 1,200 can be managed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Your FC seems a bit high for an SWG pool. The more you run your SWG, the more you will chase increasingly higher pH. Just curious as to the setting you are currently using.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by flintstone
    Your FC seems a bit high for an SWG pool. The more you run your SWG, the more you will chase increasingly higher pH. Just curious as to the setting you are currently using.
    It's on 35%. It is normally at around 4-5 FC, however, I ran the pump/swg for 24 hours after a large group swam in the pool.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.