Pool Heater - Paranoia

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
Last year I melted my plumbing when my filter pump turned off while my heater was still on. Everyone here taught me about adding a firemans switch to my pool heater. I bought one over the winter, installed it last week and it works great.

Then came the paranoia!

Yesterday Southwest Michigan had severe thunderstorms and heavy winds. Power lines were down all over, but I was spared. It got me wondering - How many times have I come home to find the microwave and VCR Flashing because of power losses?

If we lose power will my system go into melt down? Has anyone else had this happen? Is it common? Is there a way to avoid it and still let the heater be used when I am away from home or must I babysit it all the time?

or am I panicking again for no reason?
:shock: :? :cry: :grrrr:

I'd be reluctant to use your heater. Remember, it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you!

My Teledyne/LAARS has a minimum flow sensor built in. If the pump were to go off, the heater would shut off. As a matter of fact, if my filter pressure gets high, like it's time to backwash, the flow out of the filter gets reduced and the heater either won't come on or shuts off.

Sounds to me like even babysitting your heater won't keep you from having an overheating problem.

Mine is also a Teledyne Laars, and it has the low pressure cutoff, and as I mentioned the Firemans switch, but when the power goes out, I'm guessing it would still not cool off fast enough to prevent the meltdown. I'm guessing no heater can avoid this problem which is why I wonder if anyone else has dealt with a power outage and whether it damaged the system or what?

Heaters can be a little scary. I don't like being away too long while it is running.

For over 10 years my heater and pump turned off at the same time on many occasions and I guess I was lucky I never had any damage. Now I have the firemans switch...

As for a power outage, I dont know. Maybe some sort of backup power?

What type of pipe do you have connecting into your headers? Regular SCH40 PVC (white)?

If so, a short run of CPVC (light gray, not dark gray SCH 80) on each header might help...it's got much higher temperature resistance.

It's Grey CPVC, not sure if thats the light or dark.
The pipes don't get AS hot if I leave it on low, so I'm guessing I might be safe if I never leave the unit alone when it is any higher than the lowest setting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.