Baquacil user - switching to Chorline

Looks Great! I converted at the end of May, and when I was able to hold the FC
overnight it still took a few more days to get the CC down to (0 - .5)
Even though the water was sparkling.
You will be glad you did it. Enjoy your "NEW" pool. :party:

Well - I am getting close - did not quite pass the overnight test though :(

The numbers:

11:00 PM FC=15 (after I added about 2 Qts of bleach)

Next morning:

5:15 AM FC=13, CC=3, TA=80

Still loosing too much FC! and the CC needs to go down a bit. Today I will not shock it as much during the day - after the sun is blazing on it. Until then I will keep the FC at 15. When the sun goes down behind our trees - at about 6:15 tonight I'll check it and top it back to 15.

Other than doing this - is there anything else I should do?

Today I am going to get the sand and the CYA from our local pool store - to be ready to switch things out when ready.

My wife hasn't been home since I started - - she will be shocked :eek: when she sees the pool!!!

This has been the best thing we could have done to the pool! It WILL fee like a new pool!

Roger.

Well its evening and I am going to start adding bleach again.

When I measured at 5:45 this afternoon:

FC=0
CC=1.5
CYA=0

Its amazing how much chlorine is drained by the :sun: and it was very hot again today - 100 (unofficially). The pool is still looking very sparkly and clear!

I am so very glad I found this site :-D

One more thing I forgot....

I went to the pool store today - and they were closed!!! :( I was only 30 minutes late (2:30). You would think that Saturday would be their busiest day.

So I went of Home Depot and got the pool sand. But could not find any CYA. They had a very skimpy selection of pool supplies. If I am successul with tonight's overnight test - - and CC is .5 -- does Walmart or any other stores sell the CYA?

Roger.

Wow, have you come a long way with your purdy clear-sparkly-almost-ready water! :goodjob:

Your wife will be :shock: 'd when she sees the pool :lol:

When you shop for CYA, it may also be labeled as Conditioner or Stabilizer, but the ingredients will be 90+% cyanuric acid.
I have found it at WallyWorld, Lowes & HD. If distance/travel is a problem, just call them first. :wink:

rogerhst said:
Well its evening and I am going to start adding bleach again.

When I measured at 5:45 this afternoon:

FC=0
CC=1.5
CYA=0

Its amazing how much chlorine is drained by the :sun: and it was very hot again today - 100 (unofficially). The pool is still looking very sparkly and clear!

I am so very glad I found this site :-D

Yep, that is why pools in the blazing sun need CYA to keep the Chlorine in the pool instead of depleting. Us in the Pacific NW need only about a 30-40 on the CYA to keep the levels high at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This mornings readings - my overnight test began at 10.45.

FC=13.5
CC=2.00

I was extremely close to passing the overnight test - but my CC level is still high. Problem is - I am running out of the 871 - - I've ordered more - but it will not get here until Wednesday! So what can I do for measuring accurately when I run out of 871? (I didn't see the post about ordering more of the 871 until too late!)

Why is the CC staying up? Any thoughts? I have not changed the filter yet - could there be stuff in there? Back in early May I changed the sand out - so it wasn't old. Should I change it out now - or do I need to wait until CC is <.5 ?

Thanks!
Roger.

You should change the filter media and then start adding CYA when the overnight FC loss is 1.0 or less. After that you continue to maintain an FC level of 15 until the CC level is 0.5 or lower on two consecutive days.

Some of the CC is coming from baqgoo in the filter, but you want to make sure you have gotten the baqgoo level low enough before replacing the filter media. Otherwise you will just get more goo in the new filter media and need to change it yet again.

Since I am getting very close to completing my conversion :-D - I need to do something with the ladder that I use with my pool. It is the one shown here.

Right now it is not in the pool - but it has rock/sand and some Baq water still in it. I am thinking I need to empty all rock/sand, etc and wash it out - then refill with rock/sand. This method worked great for keeping it from floating. I plan on doing this tomorrow after work.

I didn't find any CYA at any of our local stores - Walmart, Home Depot, etc. So I am going to a pool store tomorrow.

I am still shocking tonight then will do another overnight test. If all goes as planned I will also change my sand out tomorrow and add the CYA.

It has been a long 4 days - but well worth the time and effort.

Roger.

Successfully passed the overnight test!!!!!!!!!

FC = 14
CC =.5

Today (after work) I will be changing out the sand and will add CYA!

At this point I will shock it again to be sure nothing grew during the day.

When I add CYA - do I need to add enough to get it to 30?

Roger.

I have completed my conversion - and couldn't be happier!! :-D :-D :-D

Everything was completed on Wednesday - so it officially took 7 days for the conversion. I am monitoring my FC and CC each day since - added CYA on Monday. Right now my readings are:

FC=5
CC=.5
PH=7.2

I ill measure CYA on Monday - exactly one week after I added enough to get the reading to 30. At that time I will post complete pool readings - to determine if anything should be adjusted.

I will post the final picture as soon as I can.

Roger.

Additional information regarding my conversion:

I ordered the TF100 test kit - and had it on hand when I started - no doubt the best thing to do. However, I should have ordered addtional 871 reagent as I ran out on Monday - day 5 - primarily due to the fact that on Thursday, Friday and Saturday - the first 3 days of my conversion - I tested the water very frequently - about every hour from 7:00am through 10:00pm.

I used 32 - 182 oz jugs of bleach or approximately 47 gallons of bleach.

I was kind of scared to start the process - but the posters on this forum gave me the confidence needed to do the conversion.

Here are the final pictures:

P1010966.JPG

P1010967.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.