Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Corrosion in SWG pools

Corrosion in SWG pools

I have recently converted my 33,000 gallon, gunite in ground pool to SWG. My experience with the chlorine pool is that it was corrosive to steel etc. Is a SWG pool more corrosive or the same. I have a friend that is considering converting, but is hesitant due to someone told him the salt was terrible in regard to corrosion. Can someone shed light on this. I would think that it would be equal.
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

There is an ongoing discussion of this very topic in this thread. There are some disadvantages specific to salt.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School