Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Educate me, please. Disposable sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Educate me, please. Disposable sand filter?

DD & SIL purchased a 20 year old home with a pool and spa that I am guessing is about the same age as the home.

Pool has a Triton sand filter. SIL decided he wanted to change the sand in it. He called the business that serviced the pool equipment for the former owner to find out information about it. They told him, you don't change the sand in that filter. It is a disposable sand filter. You just replace the entire filter every 8 to 10 years. They pulled up the records and told him the filter was installed about 7 years ago.

Does that sound right? I didn't know there was such a sand filter that you couldn't change the sand. I googled a bit and couldn't find anything regarding a disposable sand filter. To me, on the outside, it looks identical to every picture I've found of even the newest Triton II filters.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Educate me, please. Disposable sand filter?

Sounds like bull to me. Maybe they just want to sell them a filter/installation.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A DEALER WOULD BE SO SLEAZY AS TO PULL SOMETHING LIKE THAT!
    They just want to sell a new filter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what I was thinking, that it was pure balogna.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.