Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to run pump

1. Back To Top    #1
    Perry Hall Maryland North of Baltimore

When to run pump

I have read all the post i can find on pump run time. Could not find the answer to these questions:

Should run time be split or continuous?

Is it better to run pump during the day vs. night or does it not matter?
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    27' round above ground, 17100 gal, vinyl, Hayward1.5hp, 200lb.sand, EX baqua-goo user.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Middle Tennessee

Re: When to run pump

I don't think it really matters filtration-wise if it's continuous or split, day or night, as long as you get the turnover you need. If you're adding chemicals in the evening, then you'll want the pump running while you do that, and for an hour or three afterwards as well.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

I run mine when I add chemicals and when swimming. I usually add chems in the evening after the sun goes down and it runs for about two hours then. In the morning, it kicks on for another two to give the cleaner a chance to get the leaves and debris. If we swim, I'll run it as well.

Split or continuous is really up to you. You just want to make sure that your water is turned over at least once and the time that this takes depends on lots of factors (filter size, volume of water in the pool, pump size, etc.)
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lakeland, FL

I've heard and read splitting it is better for the motor. I'll try to find that.
    edit: ok maybe I dreamed that. but here are a couple similar threads:
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have smart meters where you live? They are fairly big in Canada, not sure about the US. They basically allow you to be charged different electrical rates depending on the time of the day the power is being used. We get a significant energy savings by running ours at night vs. the day.