ABG Pool A Frame Ladder Question

Jun 15, 2009
Clarksville TN
I had this in another topic maybe someone can give me an answer here. When they installed our pool they put our ladder together but did not put it in the pool. They also did not leave us any instruction booklet. So we put the ladder in the pool when it was filled and we don't know if it is supposed to be secured somehow. Here is a link to the ladder we have:
http://www.shepnell.com/ladders.htm
Its usable but it still floats a bit when no one is on it. We tied it down to the frame for now but wondering if there is a better way to attach it to the pool. Also its re sizable and I think its set to 54" our pool is 52" deep should we make it shorter? But if we do what about those poles between the ladders that seem to hold the ladder up.....they don't seem to be re sizable. Any ideas? How did you guys do your ladder?
Thanks in advance. Hope someone can help.

There should be a shelf under the steps in the pool where you can put some weights to keep the stairs in place. I use 3-gallon fuel cans from Wallyworld filled with gravel and water/bleach, AnnaK made pool weights from PVC sections filled with concrete, some folks have used the weights from a weight set (the plastic-enclosed concrete variety), etc. That should hold the steps down on the bottom of the pool. BTW, using a plastic or rubber mat under the stairs is a good idea - saves wear and tear on your liner. We used some black plastic mat we found at Home Depot. Was on a big roll, we bought enough to cut to size.

If you don't have a deck, then the two PVC pipes are providing the support for the ladder. We found that to be rather rickety at best. Before we built our deck, I ended up building a simple frame using 4x4 posts with a piece of 4x4 in between them to replace those pipes, and mounted the top step that comes over the rail to that frame. ( I planted the 4x4's about 2 ft in the ground). That was much more sturdier than the PVC pipe. If you go this route, space the 4x4's on either side of that top step so you can remove the outside ladder when not in use.

Here's some pictures I found of the frame I built:

efinpool1a.jpg

P5010016ea.jpg

Hello!

We just completed our pool installation last week for an above ground pool. In the ladder kit there were no instructions on how to secure the ladder. It is a plastic-type ladder and we noticed that there were 4 holes on the top of the ladder, and four plug like things, apparently these are to fill the ladder up with water so it stays put. So, that is what we did and it works great! And simple too! Now,all we are faced with landscaping, and running power outlets out to the pool because the orange extention cord just isn't cutting it.
Hope this helps

Christine

When we bought our pool last year, it also came with a fold up ladder. It had the plugs to add water to, but it also had 2 screw holes to attach it to your toprail. We have since built a deck and bought the conversion kit for our ladder, cut off the back legs and attached it to the deck.

I hear you about the extension cords...lol..We just ran our permanant electricity a few weeks ago and started landcsaping around the pool, must be looking ok, because the neighbor stopped me this morning to tell me how good it looks. Anything looked better than the pool sitting in a big round hole...lol

Attachments

• DSCF1282.bmp
    511.9 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF1285.bmp
    511.9 KB · Views: 360
Your pool looks really nice! Love the deck and the landscaping lights:)

Next March/April we plan on having our existing deck extended to the pool so it looks like it is "sunk in the deck". In the meantime we need to back fill the hole around the pool, put down some rock and make some kind of temporary walkway with pavers so it doesn't turn into a mudpit.

Day 6th of our new pool and I still have not been in it!

Christine

Thank you all for the good info. We will try and find something to use as weights. I don't think we will be able to built our own ladder on the outside. Neither the husband or I have those skills nor tools to do that. :| Sooner or later we will get out deck extended too and the ladder has holes where you can screw it onto the deck so then we wont have the floating ladder problem anymore. Also thanks for posting pics.

If I'm right and your steps do have a shelf to set the weights on, whoever puts the weights in there needs to be very careful - the shelf usually sits at the front of the steps, so you have to go under the steps to put the weights on while under water. that's another thing I like about the plastic fuel cans I use - they have handles which makes them easier to finagle. Also, I've got some rope tied around the handles, so when it comes time to take them out in the fall, I just pull on the rope, and out they come.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.