Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White plaster with Silicone Shield or RPM?

1. Back To Top    #1

White plaster with Silicone Shield or RPM?

I am one week from plaster, and trying to decide between two plaster additives that both claim to improve white plaster: Silicone Shield, and RPM, a silica fume product from Triton. Any experiences with either would be great to hear, particularly longer-term.
    Anybody used them?

thanks,
    Bcatv
    52k gal/1300sqft white plaster wi spa, 2 Intelliflo 4x160, 2 C&C 420, Heat Siphon heat pump, PCC-2000, Intellitouch, CL&MA injection

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: White plaster with Silicone Shield or RPM?

Silicone shield is garbage. I would use the RPM. Its has "pozzalans" that essentially take the weakest element in plaster (calcium hydroxide) and "lock it up" so that it is less susceptible to chemical attacks. Pozzolans - based products have been proven to reduce etching, cracking, mottling and other problems, as well.

3. Back To Top    #3

Frank,
    What has been your experience with Silicone Shield that leads you to say its garbage? I am more than curious, because based on conversations with three builders and three plasterers who are using it, the experience has been generally very good, and I am planning to use it on my plaster on Friday. RPM's silica fume (pozzolan) component is also reported well from a large plasterer here, and silica fume as you say can do perhaps the best job of converting the calcium hydroxide to a more stable, less water-soluble compound (some tests at some percentages around 15% by weight have shown complete conversion of the CaOH. Silicone Shield also contains some pozzolans, metakaolin and finely ground silica compounds, although less than RPM, and is less total volume.
    How has it failed for you?
    52k gal/1300sqft white plaster wi spa, 2 Intelliflo 4x160, 2 C&C 420, Heat Siphon heat pump, PCC-2000, Intellitouch, CL&MA injection

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am a Pool plaster applicator. I have plastered over a 100k pools. PebbleConcepts.com The theory behind silicone is to waterproof the plaster to keep the water from deterioration it. Its added right to the mix and silicone and portland cement don't mix well. It "in my opinion weakens the mix when used and makes the plaster much harder to trowl. It also wears away. The other additive actually helps the curing process and increases strength." The silicone additive hasn't been used in my area for a long time. We use the pozzalans daily.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: White plaster with Silicone Shield

My pool contractor is encouraging me to use silicone shield to extend the life of my plaster finish.
    Can anyone help with this? Is there a better product?
    Ron

IG plaster pool; 14,800 gallons; Hayward 48 sqft DE bump filter; 1hp hayward super pump, polaris 9300 cleaning robot

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Frank R.
    You might be interested in "Ten Guidelines to Quality Pool Plaster" found on page 3 in this forum.

7. Back To Top    #7

Where can I buy silica fume?
    Ron

IG plaster pool; 14,800 gallons; Hayward 48 sqft DE bump filter; 1hp hayward super pump, polaris 9300 cleaning robot