Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there something I can use instead of Happy Bottem?

1. Back To Top    #1

West Michigan

Is there something I can use instead of Happy Bottem?

Got my yard leveled and lots of glass and other things found in dirt in the ground. Going to install the rails and bricks tomorrow (weather permiting). Is there anything I could lay on the ground before putting down the sand to protect my liner, something I can get from Home Depote? Or is the 4 inches of sand enough? Its going to be a 28 foot ABG pool with a slight scoop in the center with a deep part of about 6 feet, 4 foot sides;if everything goes well. No one here ever built one before but lots of reading and building other things. Have the laser level, Escavator loaning us his. Thanks, Kim
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Bucks County, PA

Re: Is there something I can use instead of Happy Bottem?

You'd be surprised how those little things / stones / pieces of glass etc can work their way "up" through the sand. I would try to remove / rake everything you can before you put sand.

Perhaps you can get some screenings / road-mix / etc and do a 1" well packed layer and then do your sand. Cheap enough and it packs like concrete. I just did 4" of screenings for my overall base and my sand will be on top of that inside the pool. I'll be using Armor Shield over the screenings (before the sand goes on top)..

Right now after 2 passes with the plate compactor, I can park a car there if I wanted to and not leave a mark. Nice and packed.
    33'x15' x 52" Aqualeader
    Gallons ? - (I use appx 13,500 to calculate "stuff")
    33 x 15 x 4.3 x 5.9 = 12,558. or . . The Pool Calculator = 14,400
    Hayward S-166T 100Lb Sand Filter - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1HP Pump
    Intex S.W.G.