I use a SWG for my pool and it works very well to maintain my chlorine level.
I do however use other forms of chlorine (bleach or cal hypo) to open my pool in the spring and for the occasional shock when I neglect to monitor my FC and let it go too low (very rare I promess .
So I stopped by the pool store tonight to buy a small bucket of Cal-Hypo and during the conversation, I told the pool guy that I have a salt pool. He immediately told me that I should never use cal-hypo in a salt pool and that it's going to ruin my SWG. He instead tried to sell me a "chlorine-free" shock product (oxypro?).
My BS detector went right on and I decline his offer and bought the cal-hypo anyways, to his utter dismay.
I know that cal-hypo will raise the CH in my pool over time, but I have a vinyl pool and its low anyways so this is a non issue for me. Still, are there any risks to my SWG if I do the occasional shock with cal-hypo ?