New pool needs new cleaner

deanrinehart

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
My new pool is going to need a cleaner, and this has been one heck of a difficult decision to make. Help!

My modestly freeform IG pool is about 1,000 sq. ft, 31,000 gallons with a spa. 9' deep end, 3' shallow with a sun shelf and about 30' of bench and steps. Walls are less than 90 degrees in most places. The surface is Diamond Brite. Two main drains in pool.

[center:hf3f50p4]
plaster_complete.JPG
[/center:hf3f50p4]

The intention was to go tracked robotic, but I've been reading mixed reviews on their capabilities in diving pools with complicated layouts (tangled cords, stuck in deep end, stuck on steps, etc). Some people seem to switch their robotics to clean the floor only with better results. We had a Polaris 280 at our last pool…and it was great. However, that was a 600 sq ft IG "play pool" (6' deep). Seems a Polaris in this pool would have to run for hours upon hours to get it consistently clean.

So, enter the wheeled jet-type "dumb" robotics like the Aquabot Turbo Jet. Given the lower price tag as compared to the tracked robotics, would this be a good option? Since these primarily do the floor, am I getting the same cleaning (save for the scrub) as the robotics for lots less? Given your experience, what would you suggest?

I don't see why the 280 wouldn't work. I'm using a 180 circa 1983 (haven't hooked up the new 3900 yet) in a 44,000 gal pool now with no problems. I put it in for 2 or 3 hours every few days. But I guess it really depends on how much and what type of debris you accumulate. Unless you're just itching for a new cleaner, maybe give the 280 a try first.

BTW, sweet pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.