Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool needs new cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool needs new cleaner

My new pool is going to need a cleaner, and this has been one heck of a difficult decision to make. Help!

My modestly freeform IG pool is about 1,000 sq. ft, 31,000 gallons with a spa. 9' deep end, 3' shallow with a sun shelf and about 30' of bench and steps. Walls are less than 90 degrees in most places. The surface is Diamond Brite. Two main drains in pool.

[center:hf3f50p4][/center:hf3f50p4]

The intention was to go tracked robotic, but I've been reading mixed reviews on their capabilities in diving pools with complicated layouts (tangled cords, stuck in deep end, stuck on steps, etc). Some people seem to switch their robotics to clean the floor only with better results. We had a Polaris 280 at our last pool…and it was great. However, that was a 600 sq ft IG "play pool" (6' deep). Seems a Polaris in this pool would have to run for hours upon hours to get it consistently clean.

So, enter the wheeled jet-type "dumb" robotics like the Aquabot Turbo Jet. Given the lower price tag as compared to the tracked robotics, would this be a good option? Since these primarily do the floor, am I getting the same cleaning (save for the scrub) as the robotics for lots less? Given your experience, what would you suggest?
    Owner built 32,000g Diamond Brite IGP with 1,300g spa, Jandy 2.0hp ePump, DEV60 filter, LXi 400k btu NG heater, PS-8 control, QT 1.5hp blower, WaterColors, Liquidator, PoolBlaster, Blue Diamond

Lehigh Custom Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool needs new cleaner

I would not even THINK about an automatic cleaner until your plaster is at least about 4 months old!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I would not even THINK about an automatic cleaner until your plaster is at least about 4 months old!
    I have to think that far ahead...cuz it usually takes me that long to make my decision!

Don't worry...soft brush vac head will be used exclusively in the beginning.
    Owner built 32,000g Diamond Brite IGP with 1,300g spa, Jandy 2.0hp ePump, DEV60 filter, LXi 400k btu NG heater, PS-8 control, QT 1.5hp blower, WaterColors, Liquidator, PoolBlaster, Blue Diamond

Lehigh Custom Pools

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see why the 280 wouldn't work. I'm using a 180 circa 1983 (haven't hooked up the new 3900 yet) in a 44,000 gal pool now with no problems. I put it in for 2 or 3 hours every few days. But I guess it really depends on how much and what type of debris you accumulate. Unless you're just itching for a new cleaner, maybe give the 280 a try first.

BTW, sweet pool.
    44,000 gal gunite IG, Pac Fab TR-100 (30") Sand Filter, Polaris 3900