Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate question

1. Back To Top    #1

Oro Valley, Arizona

Borate question

I'm interested in going the borate route. I've read everything but have one question about the acid calculation. Is the quantity based on using a 20% baume' solution?
    15,000 gallon freshwater in-ground pebble tech with raised spa/waterfall
    Pentair ccplus 420 filter, intelliflo 4 pump, delZONE 2 Ozone generator,
    in-floor cleaning, Jandy AE3000 T-R heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Borate question

If you use The Pool Calculator, then the acid amount is based on 31.45% Hydrochloric Acid concentration which is typical for full-strength Muriatic Acid. This is indeed the same as 20º Baumé (it's degrees Baumé, not percent). There is a table at the bottom of the Wikipedia article for Hydrochloric Acid that gives Baumé for various concentrations of acid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Borate question

If you are going by my "simplified but close enough for government work" formula of 30 fluid oz of muriatic acid per every 60 oz by weight of 20 mule team (which will raise 1000 gal ot 50 ppm borates and is pretty much 'right on the money"!) in the borate HWOTO that I wrote then yes, it's based on 20 baume muriatic, which is the strength commonly sold for pool use. 10 baume acid has recently hit the market (at the same price!) at some of the big box stores so if you have this (approx 15%) then you need twice as much!