Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: rough pool floor

1. Back To Top    #1

rough pool floor

I just had a new liner installed in an older in ground pool (14x28) the floor feels rough and bumpy with coarse sand in many spots and some small but pointy rocks that are uncomfortable to walk on. Will these be pushed down over time? I haven't paid the installer yet, what are some solutions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: rough pool floor

Quote Originally Posted by thebaker
    I just had a new liner installed in an older in ground pool (14x28) the floor feels rough and bumpy with coarse sand in many spots and some small but pointy rocks that are uncomfortable to walk on. Will these be pushed down over time? I haven't paid the installer yet, what are some solutions?
    Hard to say. Some things do smooth down with time. Is it a sand or vermiculite bottom?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Before dropping the new liner, they should have retroweled the bottom and inso doing found and removed any rocks in the sand

It's possible that the sharp pebbles will simply get pushed down and all will be fine - it's also possible that they won't and will poke holes in the liner

Call the installer and see what he says - if he says "all will be fine" get something in writing from him saying that he'll come out and fix it if the rocks poke through the liner 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same, only worse, problem. I have a concrete bottom that was improperly patched, leaving roughness, and wrinkles in the deep end, and pebbles in the shallow end. I've fully paid, but I'm going to ask them to fix it. If they ask me to pay for the repair, then we'll have a discussion about who did what wrong, and who is liable. I wrote the check, they put the liner in.
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

5. Back To Top    #5

Hard to say. Some things do smooth down with time. Is it a sand or vermiculite bottom?[/quote]

I'm not sure what the bottom was originally, but the installed patched the floor with sand mixed with cement.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

You don't install a liner on a surface like that. I would tell him to start over and expect to pay the water bill. My 1 cent.