Tristar 2 speed pump runs very hot to touch and cycles speed

I just connected a new Hayward Tristar 2 speed energy efficient 1.5 HP pump replacing a 20 year old 1.5 HP pump that ceased over the winter. I can't get my eyes in a position to read the wiring diagram on the pump housing so I can't read the letters associated with each of the connectors, but I connected the neutral to the connector that would stay the same irrespective of which the hot wire connects to. I then connected the hot wire to high speed connector ( I know now that I need to run a third wire and connect a switch that will allow me to choose high or low speed operation). The pump runs and primes in a couple of minutes- the moment the pump filter basket finally fully primes the pumps cycles to low speed, about a minute later it will increase to high speed then almost immediately cycle back to low speed. After about 5 or so of these cycles the electric motor becomes quite hot to touch. I have shut it off as I am concerned that this just isn't right. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

Depending on the motor it may be factory prewired for 220v and convertible to 110v. You'll need to take a look at the wiring diagram to be able to tell, but your description sounds to me like a 220v motor hooked up to 110v. Sounds ok until it starts to move water.

Thanks for your replies. I have gone thru the manual and see nothing regarding switching from 220 to 110 V. I took the time today to pull new wires for all of the connections and installing a single pole double toggle switch (20amp). The wire is 12 gauge as it was originally, now with three wires- neutral to the C terminal, and one each to the high (H) and low (L) terminals. According to 2 volt meters the voltage on that circuit is pretty close to 110 V but slightly above. After rewiring with the pump power switch toggled to high the pump primed in less than a minute, kicked down into low power mode and ran smoothly for about 20 minutes then shut off. The housing was quite hot to touch so I presume that it shut down due to getting too hot.
Does anyone know if there is some wiring adjustment that needs to be done to run at 110 V as opposed to 220 V, as I presume that the factory sets it for 220V?
I have run a 1.5 HP pool pump on this circuit for more than 10 years without any problems. All that has been done is what I described above- replacing the single throw switch and 2 wire configuration with the 3 wire single pole switch. So I do not understand why I am having all of these problems?
Thanks,
David

You have to look at the wiring diagram on the motor itself. Easier still, look at the label beside the wiring diagram that tells you volts, amps, HP, SF, etc. If it says Volts: 220/110 it's convertible. If that's the case it will describe on the wiring diagram how to change the setting, either by changing a few wires, moving a plug, or turning a selector switch.

The Tristar is a great pump. Mine came from the factory wired for 220v and I suspect that is how yours is wired also. You can concert the wiring for 110v. As I recall there were few directions for doing this in the manual, but on my pump the pump itself had a sticker and a diagram somewhere. I think you do have to remove a couple small access panels on the pump to get to the necessary wires. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.