to salt the pool or not...

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm considering adding salt to my non-swg pool for "improved water feel", but I have reservations. Namely, I'm worried the salt might rust the metallic parts in my pool/system. I know the jury is out on this one, but what are the risks of adding the recommended 2000 ppm?

FYI, I don't really have very much metal in the pool itself, just screws in the returns and lights.

How many of you have gone this route, and what has been your experience?

Thanks,
Dave

I have a vinyl, but after 4 years no problems. The hand rails where tough to get out the first year. Now I coat the rails, bolts, and deck mounts with grease. At the end of the year they slide out with no problem. I believe there are some concerns with certain kinds of stone. Someone else may chime in.

I salt my pool each year. I start with 80# and then add as needed until the water feels the way I like it. It usually comes to 160# in my 12K AGP. We have a lot of splashout and refilling each year because the dogs drag out so much water. I've never tested for the actual salt concentration. No problems with corrosion of any metal parts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.