Solar heater for pool

Jun 17, 2009
I am a new pool owner, having purchased a house with a pool that is about 50 feet long, 30 feet wide, and about 7 feet deep on average. I would like to heat the pool using solar panels, but the roof I can use is only 20 feet wide and 10 feet tall. I live in a very moderate mediterranean climate with an annual temp range of 55-80 degrees farenheit. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

Thats like 78,500 gallons with about 1500 sq ft of surface area.

Common solar design says you would need 750 sq. ft. of panel to heat it, and your roof area only gives you 200 sq. ft.

You may be better off with an actual heater instead of solar panels, or find somewhere else to mount a ton of panels.

Since you are new, you may want to set up a signature for your profile that includes your pool size and what equipment you have. Makes it easy for people to reply faster.

Welcome to TFP!

Even 200 square feet of panels will help, and will extend your swimming season a little. But it won't be a dramatic difference. It depends on the effect you are hoping for.

Using a solar cover will make a larger difference than 200 sqft of panels. Of course, a solar cover for a pool that size will be difficult to handle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.