Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you add chemicals with solar cover on?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you add chemicals with solar cover on?

I know that sounds dumb at first glance. It's pretty obvious not to dump the chemicals on top of the cover. But do you have to take the cover off to add, say bleach?

We've been keeping our cover on quite a bit due to weather and just not having time to swim. Since I'm considering going BBB, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take the cover off every time I add bleach?
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can you add chemicals with solar cover on?

I don't. I push it back with the net/pole and pour slowly in front of the return. My pump remains running on low 24/7. I did the CYA in the sock, left the cover on. (I've only ever added bleach and CYA, so can't advise about anything else.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

So if you push it back (I'm assuming you just mean off to the side away from the return jet) how long to you leave it there before putting it back?
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Or are you saying you don't take it off. Hahaha, maybe I'm misunderstanding.

5. Back To Top    #5

You want some clear area between the edge of the pool and the cover to pour chemicals. You don't need to remove the cover, you just need enough room so you aren't splashing any full strength chemicals on the cover. When you are done with the chemical addition you can pull the cover back into place.

There are some exceptions to this. The cover should be fully removed when you are shocking the pool or lowering your TA level. But for most routine chemical additions you don't need to fully remove it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

No need to take off the cover. I have about a 6-10" gap in front of a return and pour the bleach and acid in there. Chems on the cover don't help anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are some exceptions to this. The cover should be fully removed when you are shocking the pool or lowering your TA level. But for most routine chemical additions you don't need to fully remove it.
    Opinions differ... I don't think it matters for shocking, if you're thinking about how the cover degrades, well that happens over time anyway.

I agree for lowering TA you want the cover off since the point is to outgas CO2 and that won't happen with the cover on.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

7. Back To Top    #7

When shocking, you want sunlight to reach the water to help reduce the CC level and you also want the pool to breathe so that volatile forms of CC can evaporate. Depending on why you are shocking, this might only make a small difference, or it might be very important.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Also, realize that keeping the pool covered for an extended period of time will effect water chemsitry.
    Combined chlorine can build up and pH can drop because the water/air interface is 'shuT down' and the pool cannot 'breathe' (outgas) volitile oxidation byproducts and CO2.