Can you add chemicals with solar cover on?

May 22, 2009
I know that sounds dumb at first glance. It's pretty obvious not to dump the chemicals on top of the cover. But do you have to take the cover off to add, say bleach?

We've been keeping our cover on quite a bit due to weather and just not having time to swim. Since I'm considering going BBB, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to take the cover off every time I add bleach?

I don't. I push it back with the net/pole and pour slowly in front of the return. My pump remains running on low 24/7. I did the CYA in the sock, left the cover on. (I've only ever added bleach and CYA, so can't advise about anything else.)

You want some clear area between the edge of the pool and the cover to pour chemicals. You don't need to remove the cover, you just need enough room so you aren't splashing any full strength chemicals on the cover. When you are done with the chemical addition you can pull the cover back into place.

There are some exceptions to this. The cover should be fully removed when you are shocking the pool or lowering your TA level. But for most routine chemical additions you don't need to fully remove it.

No need to take off the cover. I have about a 6-10" gap in front of a return and pour the bleach and acid in there. Chems on the cover don't help anything!
JasonLion said:
There are some exceptions to this. The cover should be fully removed when you are shocking the pool or lowering your TA level. But for most routine chemical additions you don't need to fully remove it.
Opinions differ... I don't think it matters for shocking, if you're thinking about how the cover degrades, well that happens over time anyway.

I agree for lowering TA you want the cover off since the point is to outgas CO2 and that won't happen with the cover on.
--paulr

When shocking, you want sunlight to reach the water to help reduce the CC level and you also want the pool to breathe so that volatile forms of CC can evaporate. Depending on why you are shocking, this might only make a small difference, or it might be very important.

Also, realize that keeping the pool covered for an extended period of time will effect water chemsitry.
Combined chlorine can build up and pH can drop because the water/air interface is 'shuT down' and the pool cannot 'breathe' (outgas) volitile oxidation byproducts and CO2.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.