Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to Sand Filters

Adding DE to Sand Filters

I think perhaps consider updating the article to specify Pool Grade DE?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

Re: Adding DE to Sand Filters

But where can you find a small amount of DE for our needs as the smallest amount I have seen is 25 lbs.

My local PS has a 10lb package. Probably not going to find any less than that. You do need to replace it after every backwash so 10lb is 20 doses. It's not all that expensive though, I just bought 25lb for about $20.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

i agree! i am familiar with de in the garden - it comes in smaller amounts and spent some time this evening making sure they are different. perhaps also a vice versa mention that pool grade is a respiratory hazard and should not be in the garden......shudder.
    33K IG 1967 45' X 20' Roman 4-8 ft plaster/gunite. Triton Sand, 1.5 HP pump. Indoor with Screen Atrium top. Bought a Swamp with Nails Glass and Trash with An Algae Encrusted Astroturf Surround. On par and thankful to TFP since 4/2010. A good test kit is your friend! Using a K-2006, refills from TFTest kits.

The respiratory hazard info was already there. I just added a note that gardening DE is not the same stuff and is not suitable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

that was quick! hopefully i won't run into any more scary posts about that!
    33K IG 1967 45' X 20' Roman 4-8 ft plaster/gunite. Triton Sand, 1.5 HP pump. Indoor with Screen Atrium top. Bought a Swamp with Nails Glass and Trash with An Algae Encrusted Astroturf Surround. On par and thankful to TFP since 4/2010. A good test kit is your friend! Using a K-2006, refills from TFTest kits.