Northern Middle Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
My new pool has had water sitting in it x1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully electricity will be hooked up today. Pic shows its condition.
I would think the first thing I would want to do is get some chlorine and CYA in it, yes???
I know there is small to medium rocks and junk on the bottom from the construction. Scoop them out??? I don't want my pump damaged.
Should I wait until the pool starts to clear up before I even bother putting the salt in???

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Green Pool 001.jpg
    Green Pool 001.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 217
Hi, Lynn,

Yeah, that's a pretty good plan. Manually get out everything you can from the pool bottom and then with the pump running 24/7 start loading the chlorine into it.

You can put the CYA in simultaneously but remember, it takes a few days (up to a week) for it to register on the test so calculate accurately and be confident you have put it in there. You'll need to backwash a lot so don't put CYA in the skimmer. Tie it up in a sock or something and hang it in front of a return or put the sock in the skimmer.

For the first two days or so, I wopuld dose up to 10-12ppm chlorine each evening and then bring it back up to 10-12ppm early each morning. I would not add any during the day until the CYA gets effective in a few days.

All this is covered in Pool School in "How to Shock your Pool"

If you miss a few rocks. they'll stay on the bottome 'til your pool clears and you can get them out.

Thanks Dave. That was my exact plan. Guess I've retained some of what I've been reading the past 6 mos. :lol: It would be nice if I could see what's in the bottom :evil:
I will be off Friday. Should I try to keep the FC at shock level all that day?
I also got the PB to give me an extra set of filters due to the mess, but if I swap them out I guess I could lose some of my CYA

My tap water TA is 60 and CH 110. I suppose I shouldn't fret over this for now??? :bounce: I can assume that hasn't changed while sitting in the pool for almost 2 wks.

Should I try to keep the FC at shock level all that day?
I also got the PB to give me an extra set of filters due to the mess, but if I swap them out I guess I could lose some of my CYA
Yeah, put the CYA in just as soon as you get the water curculating and then bring the pool up to the shock value for the CYA you calculated.

You won't lose much CYA if you put it in a sock.....not the skimmer.

How did you get pH 9? Tests for pools don't normally go that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lynn, do you have a way to circulate the water, like a submersible pump or anything?

Maybe you can rent one for the day?

You can't trust water tests from stagnant water, you need to circulate it first. IF the PH is above 7.8 you really need to lower it with Muratic Acid. But you don't want to add it if you can't circulate it.

If you had a submersible pump, you could do acid and wait an hour and do bleach, get to killing the algae.... :wink:

FPMom,
Could I dilute the acid in a bucket and put it in there and stir awhile with a boat paddle?? Electrician was suppose to be here today, but promised he would be here in the morning :rant:

I'm not sure if that's safe, I'd hate to have your new pool be damaged somehow....besides we don't know if the PH is really 9, since the water is not circulating before testing.

Ya know what, I don't think the risk of scale is that great right now since it's only been a week and a half and the CH level is low. If you get your pump going by tomorrow you should be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.