Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Contaminated Pool Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Boise Idaho

Contaminated Pool Help

I started another thread where I asked for help to clear my pool water. One of the resolutions was to add Diatomaceous Earth. So I stopped at ACE hardware on the way home and picked up a bag of Natural Guard "gardening natures way" insect control diatomaceous earth. The person said that it was completely natural.

I followed the instructions on the web site adding 1/4 cup at a time until I reached about 2 cups, however the pressure gauge never went up 1 psi.

Now my pool looks green and Im concerned that it is contaminated with insect powder instead of true DE.

The bag says
    silicon dioxide from diatomaceous earth 85%
    other elemental oxides 10%
    inert ingredients 5%

I will call the manufacture tomorrow, but if the inert ingredients are poison, how do I recover from this? Is my pool safe to swim? Do I need to drain half the pool and refill? I have back flushed the pool three times now.

manufacture link ... prod=40254

I did find this link, still not sure what it means. ... _NR=007401

Help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    18x36 inground, sand filter, sta-rite sr400 ng heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Cupertino, CA

Re: Contaminated Pool Help

There was a thread recently discussing how "insecticide" DE is not the same as pool-filter DE. If you've backwashed the other stuff out and can put pool-grade DE in, anything that escaped into the pool will hopefully clear out reasonable soon.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Contaminated Pool Help

Just guessing but I doubt that there are any poisons in the garden grade DE. Those products are really for people who are trying to avoid poisons. I would suppose that it will still work, but maybe not as well since the pool grade is "sharper" than the garden grade.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.