Recommendations on what type of filter to buy ASAP plz~

Aug 18, 2008
MN
Just opened my pool yesterday. As soon as my sand filter came on I had a bunch of sand/algae? coming out into the pool which lay in the creases of the pool. Frustrating as this happened ALL last summer. Changed the sand and everything. Ok so my problem now is that I went out to add the bleach this am before work and noticed that the rock under my sand filter was wet. Sure enough I could see a leak dripping from the spot where you drain the water out of the filter at the end of the season. I also noted what appeared to be a leak coming right from the seam of the filter. So, after only running it for 12 hours, I shut if off-didn't want to risk a problem while I was at work for 8 hours. My husband checked it out after he got home, and sure enough we have a leak in the seam of the sand filter where the two halves meet. I do not want to attempt to fix it as I have had nothing by trouble for quite some time now (not even sure if I could fix it anyway). Also the pressure gauge would never raise more than a couple of degrees...ever!

SO,.. I have a 27' round AGP, 17000 gallons. Currently have been usuing a 2004 22" Meteor Pentair Sand Filter, takes 150lb of sand. GPM 50.

I also have a Pentair Dynamo 1.5HP motor, 115V, RPM 3450, 12.0 (?) AMP, 1 HP. Mu husband thinks the pump is in good enough shape to keep-I personally think its a little loud.

I would like to know what brand and type and size of filter I should get. My pools cover is off with no pump running, I have to get one quick before my water turns green! :cry:

Thanks in advance!!!! PS- no longer using the nature 2

Edited to remove extra line breaks. JasonLion

Hello mnpoolgirl
That filter is to small for your pump, you need at least a 300lb filter {pentair ta 60}.
Personally i would get bigger one than that. next size up. ta 90

On another note your pump is over sized for your pool, and i would suggest this combo. 3/4 hp whisperflo with a pentair ta60 sandfilter. Saves you some money on your power bill, and it is a very quite pump as well.

Of course that depends on your budget :)
happy swims
Frank

I have a 1/2hp pentair superflo (quiet) with a hayward s220t (250lb sand filter) on a 24 ft round and has be wonderful...my suggestion on a 27ft is get a 3/4hp superflo and a hayward s240t (300lb filter).

Thanks for the suggestions! Having trouble finding the particular ones that were suggested though. Did find the Pentair ta60, I think. Runs around 473.00 for just the filter.

Did find a Hayward Pro Series 21" with a 1 1/2 HP motor for 21,120 gal, uses 200lbs of sand. (579.99) The next step down was for max 16,800 gal, 18" with one HP. Do you think a combo pack like one of these would work ok? I have a 17000 gal pool so wouldn't I have to go higher than that?

Here in Minnesota we have some very wicked winters also, want to make sure I get something that will hold up to 40 below or so. :roll:

Are you set on sand?

I like my 2hp 2 speed Hi-flo, I know it comes in a 1.5 HP also. (I run mine on low 24/7-big elec savings running on low) and they are around $200 pump only. Not sure about the filters- I have a 150sq ft cart filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.