small white particles that turns the pool miky?!

JasonLion said:
Definitely waste. The waste setting moves the water more quickly. Also, on backwash, all of the water goes through the sand filter backwards. Any dirt in the water being pumped out would go back into the pool as soon as the system was put back to filter mode. Using backwash wouldn't be a huge problem, just not as efficient and messier.

is it normal that the water drains from the skimmer? isn't there a drain at the bottom? do I need to plug the skimmer somehow?
it is strange. in doubt I just turned things off, but it means that my pool as drained to about 20cm or so..

If you have both a bottom drain and a skimmer, you need to turn off the skimmer in order to drain below the level of the skimmer. Hopefully your skimmer and drain lines are run separately to the equipment pad, and have valves, so you can turn off the skimmer.

If you don't have a main drain, you will need to find some other way to drain the water out. Using a garden hose to syphon water out often works well.

You can also vacuum the pool while you are emptying the water if you have a vacuum that attaches to your skimmer line. Might as well get 2 jobs done at one time and all the debris on the bottom will go out with the water. Just a thought. I do this every time it rains alot, might as well use the draining water for something.

Susan

SMWill42 said:
You can also vacuum the pool while you are emptying the water if you have a vacuum that attaches to your skimmer line. Might as well get 2 jobs done at one time and all the debris on the bottom will go out with the water. Just a thought. I do this every time it rains alot, might as well use the draining water for something.

Susan
I was thinking about doing that..

JasonLion said:
If you have both a bottom drain and a skimmer, you need to turn off the skimmer in order to drain below the level of the skimmer. Hopefully your skimmer and drain lines are run separately to the equipment pad, and have valves, so you can turn off the skimmer.

If you don't have a main drain, you will need to find some other way to drain the water out. Using a garden hose to syphon water out often works well.

Yiikes! I have no idea if the skimmer as a valve or not, there are valves but I really don't know what is what.. and It might be best for me to not mess w/ these too much.. :?

JasonLion said:
reebok said:
all inground pools?
No. But more than half of in ground pools do, while hardly any above ground pool do.

It didn't seem to work well when i kept on going vacuuming to waste pass the skimmer level so I just syphoned about half the pool and refilled in the night I just added about 250oz of bleach (and I know I am going to need more) but will go get the water tested this morning after running the pump for a couple of hours to see how much more bleach I need to add and see if the CYA level dropped and of how much it dropped..
I found an old testing kit (swimquip) in the storage, no instructions though :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
In storage?

How old is it? If it wasn't stored in a temparature controlled area, they might not be any good.

I found the kit in the pool house/which is also a guest house so the temp. humidity is pretty balanced and controlled but I have no idea how old this kit is, though it doesn't look like it was used very much..

I am attaching my new numbers (I must have been a bit over zealous and emptied more than what I thought was half the pool..) the CYA is now super low:[attachment=0:3qmhag14]poolnumber2.jpg[/attachment:3qmhag14]

Attachments

• poolnumber2.jpg
    poolnumber2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 57
frustratedpoolmom said:
If you emptied 1/2 your pool, your CYA level should be closer to 60 or 70. So one of their tests is not accurate at all. Unfortunately we don't know which one.

Does the test kit have a CYA test? What does it test for?

well, all the previous test I've done there over the last few weeks always are pretty constent w/ the high CYA levels around 150 or so. So maybe the most recent test is inaccurate?

I haven't had a chance to look at the testing closely yet..

I am a bit at a loss though, even after replacing more than half the pool water it is still as milky as it was before. What about flocking and vacuuming to waste??

helenebt said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
If you emptied 1/2 your pool, your CYA level should be closer to 60 or 70. So one of their tests is not accurate at all. Unfortunately we don't know which one.

Does the test kit have a CYA test? What does it test for?

well, all the previous test I've done there over the last few weeks always are pretty constent w/ the high CYA levels around 150 or so. So maybe the most recent test is inaccurate?

I haven't had a chance to look at the testing closely yet..

I am a bit at a loss though, even after replacing more than half the pool water it is still as milky as it was before. What about flocking and vacuuming to waste??

I meant looking at the testing "kit" closely yet :)

It's usually not necessary, and you need to make sure the algae bloom is dead before you use a floc product.

Without your own test kit, you can't do the overnight FC Loss test to see if it's dead. Since we aren't certain what your CYA level really is, you don't know the correct shock level. At this point its just guessing....Are you still adding chlorine to keep the levels up?

Do you have a Walmart by you? They sell a $20 6-way test kit that can test CYA. That test will be more accurate than what the pool store has given so far. If you can pick that up, we can go from there? Otherwise maybe try I different testing source, another pool store?

frustratedpoolmom said:
It's usually not necessary, and you need to make sure the algae bloom is dead before you use a floc product.

Without your own test kit, you can't do the overnight FC Loss test to see if it's dead. Since we aren't certain what your CYA level really is, you don't know the correct shock level. At this point its just guessing....Are you still adding chlorine to keep the levels up?

Do you have a Walmart by you? They sell a $20 6-way test kit that can test CYA. That test will be more accurate than what the pool store has given so far. If you can pick that up, we can go from there? Otherwise maybe try I different testing source, another pool store?

but I never had an algae problem to start with, it all started turning milky after I did a phosphate remover which I now understand was unnecessary. :shock:

I'll get a testing kit that does CYA, in fact I am going to go check the one I have found right now,if it's not doing it, I'll get something over the weekend. No walmarts near by so I'll find one somewhere else.
:hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.