Hello all, I've been reading quite a bit on this site and really appreciate all the information. My father recently bought a bank owned home with an in-ground plaster pool and I've been given the task of cleaning it up.
This pool is completely disgusting. It had been sitting around for quite some time with no attention whatsoever. Visibility is less than a few inches and there is a layer of leaves and other organic material at the bottom that seems a couple inches deep throughout.
I found most of the information I needed in the sticky and the Pool School section. But had a couple more questions.
1. I understand that I need to run the pump continuously during the cleaning process, however I am hesitant to start up the pump due to the condition of the water at this point. Should I go ahead and start it up or wait until I am able to at least get more of the solid organic material out of the water? Should I use a skimmer sock during this phase?
2. I have no idea what kind of algae is lurking in there since it is all just a sea of dark green. On the charts and calculator there is a standard shock level and a different shock level for mustard algae. Should I push the FC level to the Mustard algae level or stay at the regular shock level?
3. What is the best economical way of getting rid of solid organic material? I have a skimmer net but wouldn't mind using something a little more effective.
Thanks in advance for the help.