Staining

Yesterday the pool was a little cloudy with some stains on the vertical part of the wall at the deep end. This really looked like dirt that the iron had collected onto. I brushed the wall. I got in the pool last evening and these areas looked green like algae. I dumped enough chlorine to get me to 3 ppm or so. I didn't have a computer handy for the calculator and guessed. This morning it was holding at 3.5 ppm and looked a little better. I was at home about 1:30, FC was 3.0 and it looked very clear. I've been holding off vaccuming until I got my flagstone finished because of all the sand, but think Friday will be the day to vaccum and hopefully be fully done with this mess.

I do have two questions.

1. If the iron wasn't in the city water, then where could it have come from? When I opened the pool in March 08, I was coming off the first winter with the pool. My house had just bee completed with us moving in 10/07. When I took the cover off I found a few roofing nails in the bottom of the pool and a few rust stains on the bottom. No staining occured anywhere else. When I took the cover off this spring (trampoline type that lets dirt through but not leaves) there was lots of Alabama red clay on the steps. Iron gives the clay it's color.....so, I guess the iron in the clay did this. Does this sound plausible? Does this sound likely? I am downwind from Birmingham, AL and B'ham has awful air quality. Maybe rain was the source. Anyone heard of either of these providing enough iron to stain a pool?

2. Is there any practical way to test your iron content and what is the level that staining becomes a problem? Seems like if I ever had to replace my water then this would be something to consider. Salt is the big expense of replacing the pool water, but if I burn through $25 of sequestrant every 3 weeks, year round, then at some point it becomes cheaper to just replace the water and be done with it. The little engineer in me just knows that I'll have that break even point calculated in the very near future.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Things like this are what make this site so wonderful.

Ahh, didn't know they tested that. Thanks. After my 3rd trip to the pool store for testsing and about $150 later I immediately started looking for a way to test myself, found the old board, found a sister board and a mod there pointed me here. That's been about 13 months and I have only been back for things I needed in the short-term and not for testing. I'll see what their test say.

Is it possible that the copper I introduced or any of the iron stain removal process could harm my SWG? I've had a very hard time keeping my chlorine level up. I measured it on July 4th weekend at night and again in the morning and had no drop.

7/6
FC 1
CC 0
pH 7.5
T/A 60
CYA 60
CH 100
Borate 30

I added 100 oz of chlorine and 4# of baking soda

7/7
FC 2
T/A 80

7/9 I was leaving for the beach. I added 182 oz of chlorine, 20# of salt, 4 boxes of Mule Team, whatever the correct amount of muriatic was, kicked the SWG up to 70% and headed out of town. I did all of this around 6 am so that any problem would have time to show up before I actually left. Previously 55% had been enough on the SWG.

I get home tonight and find some green on the walls of the pool.
FC 0
CC 1
pH 7.8
T/A 80
I didn't measure Borate but I put enough in to get it to 50.

I added the last 182 oz jug of chlorine I had. I'm buying 6 more tonight because I'm starting the shock procedure tonight.

Soooo, my thoughts are that I've somehow damaged teh cell, the little bit of green that appeared over the 4th that I fought and thought I'd won really didn't get beat, or that my CYA isn't quite where I think it is. Things got crazy before heading out of town so I didn't get to take a sample to get a metals test done. Looks like tomorrow is the day so that I can also get CYA measured.

I'm leaning towards the algae scenario even though coming out of the 4th I was getting no drop overnight. I'm shocking based on a CYA of 60.

Any advice or modifications to my thoughts?

Thanks.

I think the whole process itself creates an increased chlorine demand, and the SWG couldn't keep up.

The AA creates demand (I think) the sequestrant (I think) for sure the algaecide does.

You are cutting it very close with the 2 week- no shocking rule. I'm a little concerned your metal stains may return....

You're right, it was pretty much at two weeks. I brushed, then added 7 jugs of 182 oz. The calculator said something like 1200 oz or so would get to 24 ppm. I started getting a little tint to the water and added a little more sequestrant. It looks about the same this morning. I tested maybe 2 hrs after adding the chlorine and got FC 44 and CC 1. I re-tested this morning and got FC 24 and CC0. I think that the 44 was bogus and that the water hadn't fully mixed at that point. I re-checked the amount on the calculator because I'd figured the amount of jugs in my head. It said something like 1200 oz or so and I added 1274. I'm suprised there wasn't much drop overnight though, that's a bit weird.....assuming I was really in the neighborhood on concentration. Today is a very cloudy day so I shouldn't have the big % drop due to sunlight alone. I'll retest at lunch. This is my first time to ever shock but it sounds like I'm already almost done since the CC's dropped. Hopefully, I'll still be above 20 at lunch, can recheck tonight, check it in the morning for the overnight test and be done.

Glad to hear that this is just a higher demand than SWG can deal with thing.

dayhiker said:
I do have two questions.

1. If the iron wasn't in the city water, then where could it have come from? When I opened the pool in March 08, I was coming off the first winter with the pool. My house had just bee completed with us moving in 10/07. When I took the cover off I found a few roofing nails in the bottom of the pool and a few rust stains on the bottom. No staining occured anywhere else. When I took the cover off this spring (trampoline type that lets dirt through but not leaves) there was lots of Alabama red clay on the steps. Iron gives the clay it's color.....so, I guess the iron in the clay did this. Does this sound plausible? Does this sound likely? I am downwind from Birmingham, AL and B'ham has awful air quality. Maybe rain was the source. Anyone heard of either of these providing enough iron to stain a pool?

Thanks for everyone's help and patience. Things like this are what make this site so wonderful.

I think it is very plausible. I'm pretty sure the staining in my pool is coming from the sand/silt/mud my new dogs are dragging into the pool. LOADS OF IT DAILY :rant: Plus this has been the siltiest year we've ever had in the 23 years we've been here. We are a few feet lower than many of the houses on our hill so we get lots of runoff with loads of silt and sand. We've always had some dogs who do a little swimming but these three are constantly in and out of the pool. I've estimated I vac up about 1 lb of silt a day, not counting what makes it to the filter, (measure damp and not dripping wet) and this is the first year I've had any significant staining that is metal instead of organic. I was on Ionization for years, until 2 months ago when I switched to BBB. I've, also, replaced over half of the water in pool in past month but we don't have measurable iron in our tap water. Currently in the middle of AA treatment. Some of the iron stains are still present so picking up some more AA at the local Vit Shoppe today. I've already put in 6 lbs. ordered from Amazon and about 1/3rd the price I'll pay today. Should have ordered more in the beginning. :( BTW..... I did add Polyquat 60 first so likely won't have any algae and the water is in the lower 60's temp so less chance of algae bloom but longer time for AA treatment to work.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.