Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Supporting PVC for AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Supporting PVC for AGP

Gang,

I've been staring at my flex-hose plumbing a lot recently, visualizing how I'm going to run my PVC piping when I hard-plumb it, and have a question; wouldn't I be better off to run the PVC from the skimmer and the returns to the ground so that the piping gets some support? My concern is the weight of the piping plus the water flowing through it possibly putting undue stress on the skimmer and return connections. I don't plan on burying it, but do plan on it resting on the ground. Or better yet, putting a "T" fitting in near ground to use as a combination 90 degree elbow and a support?

Thoughts??
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Supporting PVC for AGP

If everything is glued and measured properly, it really should be able to support itself well (just dont lean on it ).
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

3. Back To Top    #3

Mike, having it rest on the ground will be better However, this also holds true of the hoses you now have The flex-hoses move when pressurized and can loosen the connections - the pvc will be more expensive and require unions to be able to disconnect them for the winter.

Also think about the stress on the wall panel if the pipe is not supported

If you need any help with this, feel free to ask me 8)

(THANKS for all you do as a mod )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

My DH built some support brackets with 2x4s for a few spots. Is it the prettiest setup on the block? No and Yes - it's functional, tidier than all the prior flex hoses, not asthetically pleasing but we are the ONLY pool on the block (15 miles in either direction actually!) so we win the beauty contest anyway.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    My DH built some support brackets with 2x4s for a few spots. Is it the prettiest setup on the block? No and Yes - it's functional, tidier than all the prior flex hoses, not asthetically pleasing but we are the ONLY pool on the block (15 miles in either direction actually!) so we win the beauty contest anyway.
    NWMNMom, can you get a pic of the supports? I think all would be interested!
    Thanks
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

Going to the ground with the pipe will need more elbows, making more resistance, right? I avoided that by keeping everything in line with the pump for a straight shot, then placing a 4x4 post underneath the piping in strategic places.

I'v only had the plumbing there for a few days, so I don't know how well that is going to work. Perhaps some straps directly on top of the wooden blocks would help.

IMO flex looks neater than pvc. At lreast mine looks ugly.

I love the difference in function though. 2" pvc > 1.5" flex...
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

True, adding elbows does increase your head loss, but I would think it'd be negligible, given the short piping runs and the minimal # of elbows (3 or 4).

Aesthetics really doesn't bother me. The possibility of a hose blowing off or hitting one with the weedeater bothers me. Plus, playing with PVC is fun!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"