Stubborn algae bloom

Jun 16, 2009
Central NJ
OK, I admit it, I'm a noob. 36K gal pool with vinyl liner. And yes I've read a lot of the info here on dealing with algae, but only after I had already gone down the following frustrating path:

1) opened pool 3 weeks ago. totally green and cloudy.
2) shock with dichlor powder and adjust ph and alkalinity using test strips (yeah I know, a REAL test kit has been ordered and is on the way). Vac'd to waste what a could, a challenge when you can't see the bottom
3) 3 weeks later, still green and cloudy; my CYA is probably off the charts -- as near as I can tell from the test strip, probably in the 100 range. FC is dark purple on the test strip, something over 10, but yeah prob. not enough to really treat the algae given the high CYA
4) call my pool guy. He says to use (gasp) copper algaecide. I add enough per the instructions to initially treat 40K gallons. Makes a little bit of a difference, but not enough. Meantime, it plunges my FC to zero (according to the test strips)

So after reading all the info here, once my test kit arrives I'm ready to go and buy out costco's supply of clorox unscented bleach and set off a chlorine bomb in the pool.

My real question is, can I do so safely after having already added 16 oz. of copper algaecide to the pool? My pool guy seemed to indicate that too much FC will cause the the copper to stain the pool. But I'm going to need a LOT of bleach given my high CYA. Feel like I'm in a catch 22... what should be my next step? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. There's a reason my username is what it is... wish I had found this site earlier :(

Don't worry, I had a heck of a time getting my pool cleared this summer!

Everyone here knows so much, I'm sure they will comment on what steps you should take next. This is the second year that these guys have moved me from swamp thing to clean, clear water! :mrgreen:

You need to do a partial drain and refill, and maybe repeat - to lower the CYA level. This will also get rid of some of the copper. You don't want copper in your pool!

Shocking your pool with high CYA is a losing battle.

Once you have your kit you'll be able to test accurately, but I'd go ahead and drain down a foot and refill.

Thanks for the quick reply. So I'm thinking...

1) drain pool 1+ ft, then refill
2) test water
3) then shock with liquid chlorine per the pool school procedure for getting rid of algae

Should I be looking for a target CYA before attempting the shock step... 60? 50? And in the meantime, with a current FC of nearly zero, is the algae going to take off again, or will the copper, bad as it is, keep the algae somewhat at bay? In other words, should I have maintenance level of chlorine in there while waiting for the test kit? And will chlorine cause the copper to stain the pool, as my pool guy hinted?

Good thing I have empty garage space for all those empty bleach bottles I'm going to have this weekend... :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.