Making the switch

Jason,

Thanks for the fast response. I guess I have just been impatient. That and my FC level isn't always setting at 15 for the last test of the night (it was 13.5 last night). I guess I have been focusing on an FC of 15 and the 1ppm or less drop. I should just be watching for the 1ppm or less drop.

Since my CC level has been within range for days and I have crystal clear water, if I pass the Overnight FC test tonight I should be good to go? If I pass the test do I have to maintain an FC of 15 for a while longer or just change filter, add the CYA and begin letting the FC drop?

Thanks again,
Tim

If you pass the FC loss test tonight, you are good to change the filter media and add CYA. After adding CYA, you want to make sure that CC doesn't go up. Keep FC at 15 for 24 hours after adding CYA and if CC remains low you are done.

Jason,

Thanks for all the help and the work you put into this forum. It took two more days for the FC to finally hold. Went through the remaining steps, finished the conversion and the water is awesome. All told, I think it only took 54 bottles of bleach.

Thanks again,
Tim

We want to make the switch as soon as tomorrow morning. We down loaded the definitions and did the calulations etc. but we are kind of scared...we have to get the test kit first and I am prepared to dump bleach and check it every two hours and vac and brush but the numbers are scarey HELP! Karen

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the forum. No worries once you have some good test numbers as a baseline. Just post your test results and ask a ton of questions. Everyone is here to help and they were more patient with my questions than my family was with waiting to go swimming :)

Just a heads up on the DPD Powder in the test kit, if you run out and need some in a pinch. I think it was day two, I dropped the bottle and lost most of it. I searched everywhere locally and couldn't find it. I finally found a local Leslie's Pool Commercial Division that has it and will sell it to the public (same as the store price around 8 bucks.)

Tim

frustratedpoolmom said:
Tim, congrats on your conversion!
:whoot: :party:

Thanks and thanks for your help.

The water is now awesome. I guess I could never get the Baq right (or maybe I did and that's just the way it was). It looked nice and clear from the surface, but if you put on goggles, you could always see a ton of little things floating in the water and it was kinda cloudy looking. Really nasty when you looked below the surface.

With the BBB the water is crystal clear, even with goggles. There is no chlorine smell, no green hair and no burning eyes. I guess we originally wanted to avoid chlorine because of public pool experiences. My wife was a little skeptical of the conversion, but we hung in there and are converts for life.

Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.