Should you bump a thread to say "Thank you"?

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
It feels a bit odd to bump a thread after a day or two, or more... with just "Thank you" in the post. When I have more information to share, such as why I am writing back, then I do bump and post. Other than that, I don't like to do it because it seems somewhat meaningless. Of course I want to say it, especially to the person who was so helpful, but it seems odd to me.

If I ask a question, and it get answered quickly, or more importantly, if I am there to reply with "Thank you" quickly, then I will do it. But if a few days go by, then I tend to let the thread die off. No one wants to click on the thread just to read that one line.

Except for the person who answered and deserves the thank you. lol

Hey, that's why the "rep" functions work well IMO. No, this isn't a suggestion. I'm sure people are against it for various reasons. I don't want to start an argument with anyone.

If it is your topic and you are thanking the person who answered your question, then I think it is a great idea to post a "thank you it worked message". We like to hear back that our answer actually helped the person asking.

If you are looking at a topic where someone else asked a question and the answer to their question helped you, then I wouldn't tend to post a thank you, though posting one would be fine in that situation as well.

I think thanking someone for info that worked is useful not only for the person that gave the info but it's an affirmation to everyone reading it that they can get help with their pool problems here and that the solutions do work.
I say keep the thank yous coming!

Even if you are not the OP but the info applied to you and it worked I do not think it would be out of line to say something to that effect!

Nothing is more aggravating than typing a long answer to a question, maybe even doing some research, and getting no response. You don't even know if they read your answer. So I say yes, acknowledge it with thanks, "Yes, that worked", or "No, that didn't work".

JohnT said:
Nothing is more aggravating than typing a long answer to a question, maybe even doing some research, and getting no response. You don't even know if they read your answer. So I say yes, acknowledge it with thanks, "Yes, that worked", or "No, that didn't work".

Amen!

I do wonder sometimes, after I've held someones hand, why they never came back to update....if they gave up and reverted to old habits or what.

It's nice to have closure. :mrgreen:

OK, Thanks. Ha!

Your replies are referring to advise that is given and taken and followed through to find out if something worked or not. I agree, a thank you is good in that circumstance. It is sort of an update. I LOVE updates.

I was referring to a simple question and answer for information's sake. If a question was answered 4 days ago, and it is way down the list on the page or on another page, that is when I feel silly bumping it with a "thanks for the reply". People then click on the thread, and they just see that one line.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I won't feel badly about 'bumping' a thread with a 'thank you' anymore.

Lazyman said:
OK, Thanks. Ha!

Your replies are referring to advise that is given and taken and followed through to find out if something worked or not. I agree, a thank you is good in that circumstance. It is sort of an update. I LOVE updates.

I was referring to a simple question and answer for information's sake. If a question was answered 4 days ago, and it is way down the list on the page or on another page, that is when I feel silly bumping it with a "thanks for the reply". People then click on the thread, and they just see that one line.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I won't feel badly about 'bumping' a thread with a 'thank you' anymore.

Thank you for this post/ thread :bowdown: :wink: :p

Remember that a lot (most?) of the people who show up here begin by searching for their particular problem.

Even the "regulars" will do a specific search when a problem comes up -- I did for my Polaris problem yesterday -- and so it is best to have that closure of what worked and what didn't.

So, I vote for always letting someone know how it turned out, no matter how long may have passed, since on a search it all is part of the same story.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.