Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should you bump a thread to say "Thank you"?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should you bump a thread to say "Thank you"?

It feels a bit odd to bump a thread after a day or two, or more... with just "Thank you" in the post. When I have more information to share, such as why I am writing back, then I do bump and post. Other than that, I don't like to do it because it seems somewhat meaningless. Of course I want to say it, especially to the person who was so helpful, but it seems odd to me.

If I ask a question, and it get answered quickly, or more importantly, if I am there to reply with "Thank you" quickly, then I will do it. But if a few days go by, then I tend to let the thread die off. No one wants to click on the thread just to read that one line.

Except for the person who answered and deserves the thank you. lol

Hey, that's why the "rep" functions work well IMO. No, this isn't a suggestion. I'm sure people are against it for various reasons. I don't want to start an argument with anyone.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should you bump a thread to say "Thank you"?

If it is your topic and you are thanking the person who answered your question, then I think it is a great idea to post a "thank you it worked message". We like to hear back that our answer actually helped the person asking.

If you are looking at a topic where someone else asked a question and the answer to their question helped you, then I wouldn't tend to post a thank you, though posting one would be fine in that situation as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think thanking someone for info that worked is useful not only for the person that gave the info but it's an affirmation to everyone reading it that they can get help with their pool problems here and that the solutions do work.
    I say keep the thank yous coming!

Even if you are not the OP but the info applied to you and it worked I do not think it would be out of line to say something to that effect!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nothing is more aggravating than typing a long answer to a question, maybe even doing some research, and getting no response. You don't even know if they read your answer. So I say yes, acknowledge it with thanks, "Yes, that worked", or "No, that didn't work".
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Nothing is more aggravating than typing a long answer to a question, maybe even doing some research, and getting no response. You don't even know if they read your answer. So I say yes, acknowledge it with thanks, "Yes, that worked", or "No, that didn't work".
    Amen!

I do wonder sometimes, after I've held someones hand, why they never came back to update....if they gave up and reverted to old habits or what.

It's nice to have closure.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, Thanks. Ha!

Your replies are referring to advise that is given and taken and followed through to find out if something worked or not. I agree, a thank you is good in that circumstance. It is sort of an update. I LOVE updates.

I was referring to a simple question and answer for information's sake. If a question was answered 4 days ago, and it is way down the list on the page or on another page, that is when I feel silly bumping it with a "thanks for the reply". People then click on the thread, and they just see that one line.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I won't feel badly about 'bumping' a thread with a 'thank you' anymore.

7. Back To Top    #7

I really don't think it should be a problem... your bump might be someone else's first look at a thread.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyman
    OK, Thanks. Ha!

Your replies are referring to advise that is given and taken and followed through to find out if something worked or not. I agree, a thank you is good in that circumstance. It is sort of an update. I LOVE updates.

I was referring to a simple question and answer for information's sake. If a question was answered 4 days ago, and it is way down the list on the page or on another page, that is when I feel silly bumping it with a "thanks for the reply". People then click on the thread, and they just see that one line.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I won't feel badly about 'bumping' a thread with a 'thank you' anymore.

Thank you for this post/ thread :P
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember that a lot (most?) of the people who show up here begin by searching for their particular problem.

Even the "regulars" will do a specific search when a problem comes up -- I did for my Polaris problem yesterday -- and so it is best to have that closure of what worked and what didn't.

So, I vote for always letting someone know how it turned out, no matter how long may have passed, since on a search it all is part of the same story.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    letting someone know how it turned out,

Agreed, but again, that is considered an update. That's different than a one line "thank you", bumping a thread two pages away.

11. Back To Top    #11

2 pages or 20 pages, manners is manners dontcha know? Say thank you already!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    2 pages or 20 pages, manners is manners dontcha know? Say thank you already!

Lol. Thanks waterbear. Many, MANY of your posts were helpful to me, so I say "Thank you" to you now.

13. Back To Top    #13

de nada