Brand new pool owners seeking advice!!

Jun 15, 2009
Keller, TX
Hello all. We just recently finished setting up our Itex 24' X 52" AG pool. We are very very new to this. I haven't put any chemicals in yet. I just went out and purchased an hth vinyl and plaster pool start up and maintenence kit (it says for pools with skimmer baskets. It came with 10 test strips that tested the FC, Bromine, Ph, and TA. I tested and here are the results:

FC: 0
Bromine: 0
Ph: 7.8
TA: 120

I am going to attach my skimmer and put one of the 3-in-1 chlorinating tablets in. I am planning on adding one of the shock treatments this evening at bed time and running the pump overnight.

Am I headed in the right direction? Does the pump have to be on as long as there is a tablet in the skimmer? I am assuming it is safe to swim in while there is a tablet in the skimmer because it says it takes up to a week to dissolve but I know we can't use it until the water is tested after a shock treatment.

Do I really need to do a shock treatment once a week?

As you can see we are pretty new to this but we will get use to it we just need pointed in the right direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Listen to the Queen! :thequeen:

Off to Pool School!

If you still have questions after reading the info there, please post them.

In the meantime, I highly recommend you order yourself a good test kit, there is an article in Pool School that compares the two kits we recommend on this forum.

Welcome! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.