Help - hose keeps blowing off (pic)

May 22, 2009
I had to replace this hose (from filter to heater) because of a leak. But now, I can't seem to get it to stay on. I'm not even sure I have it connected the right way. It's fine for a few days and then bam, it blows off because of water pressure. It seems to do it after I backwash, so I assume that's because water is flowing better.

anyway, should I have some sort of adaptor instead of just the clamp on the hose? When i bought the hose, the PS guy said I shouldn't need anything else, but I don't know. I've even tried replacing the clamp in case it was old and just getting too week.

Here's a pic of the connection I'm talking about.
P1010018.jpg

Those hoses can be a real bugger! On mine, I pushed the hose back as far as it could go until my hands hurt and I tightened the clamp with all my might too. That PVC fitting is tapered a bit toward the open end, and if you don't get the hose way up toward the coupling, it can work it's way loose from the vibrations. Getting my guys to help me out is not an easy thing to do, but I was eventually able to keep mine on.

Good luck!... and sorry if my terminology is not all correct :)

I'm not sure hard plumbing would work for us (then again I don't know anything about plumbing. I'm just teaching myself through this site) since we're in Ohio. We have to bring most of the stuff indoors when we winterize.

Thanks, I'll try the tape!

if you use unions in conjunction with hard plumbing...dismantling for the winter is not an issue

let me know if you need some pics of typical plumbing connections

The trouble with the fitting is that it probably doesn't have a raised ridge, to allow the clamp to keep it's grip. The part number for the one with the ridge is SP 1091-Z-7 however, there is one small problem - the number for the one without the ridge is... SP 1091-Z-7 :shock: :hammer: :rant: You can't just go by the number, look to be sure the adapter has the ridge! If you get one with the ridge, simply push the hose on past the ridge and put the clamp right behind the ridge.

Heavens, I certainly seem fond of typing "ridge" -- anyone care to guess what street I live on? :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To help the plastic hoses like this slide farther onto the fitting use a haid dryer. Just place the hose on the fitting and heat it with a hair dryer on medium heat as you continue to push the hose on the fitting and it will slide on even farther. I have done this every year until I replaced all my plumbing with PVC during my solar installation.

Also as others mentioned the hase barb with at least one or multiple ridges will make a big difference. This is the style we had and the hair dryer was a must to get the hose over at least two ridges.

Good Luck,

Dennis

Unions are reusable threaded fittings used to connect two sections of pipe together. They consist of two flanges that butt up against each other with an O-ring in between them; one of the flanges has male threads around the flange, and the other flange has a slip collar that has the female threads. You butt the flanges together, and then screw the slip collar onto the male-threaded flange, which compresses the two butt ends together.

Here's a picture.

pvc-fitting-457-slip-union-sxs.jpg

If you have a spare minute just look back at my posts over the past few years where the word ARRRGH is and you will see we dealt with hoses blowing off steady and losing up to 1000 gals of water each time. We went hard plumbing this year with the disconnects.

Can someone please give instructions on how to use the pvc plumbing for my pump to filter section? I've been dealing with my hose blowing off and losing tons of water all year now. Ever since I replaced that original hose it's been a nightmare! I bought a couple of elbows and a long piece of pvc pipe and also a couple of rubber unions. I now need to know what to do with it all :)

Messymommy, welcome to TFP!!

It'd be best to start your own thread for this :wink:

I can tell you everything you need to know about installing pvc pipe :cool: However, it's best to do that in your own thread :)

BTW, get unions, not the 'fernco's (the rubber 'unions').

I'll see you on your separate thread :goodjob:

DrC said:
To help the plastic hoses like this slide farther onto the fitting use a haid dryer. Just place the hose on the fitting and heat it with a hair dryer on medium heat as you continue to push the hose on the fitting and it will slide on even farther. I have done this every year until I replaced all my plumbing with PVC during my solar installation.

Also as others mentioned the hase barb with at least one or multiple ridges will make a big difference. This is the style we had and the hair dryer was a must to get the hose over at least two ridges.

Good Luck,

Dennis

I agree with you, using a hair dryer will help soften those hose and allow the pipe to slide on deeper, it has to be slid all the way on then clamped. You don't want to just push it on, you have to work it back and forth if it goes on too easy there is a problem. Also keep in mind the fitting could be worn from age and might need to be replaced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.