Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - hose keeps blowing off (pic)

1. Back To Top    #1

Help - hose keeps blowing off (pic)

I had to replace this hose (from filter to heater) because of a leak. But now, I can't seem to get it to stay on. I'm not even sure I have it connected the right way. It's fine for a few days and then bam, it blows off because of water pressure. It seems to do it after I backwash, so I assume that's because water is flowing better.

anyway, should I have some sort of adaptor instead of just the clamp on the hose? When i bought the hose, the PS guy said I shouldn't need anything else, but I don't know. I've even tried replacing the clamp in case it was old and just getting too week.

Here's a pic of the connection I'm talking about.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help - hose keeps blowing off (pic)

Those hoses can be a real bugger! On mine, I pushed the hose back as far as it could go until my hands hurt and I tightened the clamp with all my might too. That PVC fitting is tapered a bit toward the open end, and if you don't get the hose way up toward the coupling, it can work it's way loose from the vibrations. Getting my guys to help me out is not an easy thing to do, but I was eventually able to keep mine on.

Good luck!... and sorry if my terminology is not all correct
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I've tried the same thing. Had my husband help me push it on etc. I'm actually on my 2nd new clamp because I tightened the last one too much and stripped it, hahaha.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm.... maybe that's why a lot of people around here switch to hard plumbing.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You could try some teflon tape around the male connection first, that might help it not be so slippery.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not sure hard plumbing would work for us (then again I don't know anything about plumbing. I'm just teaching myself through this site) since we're in Ohio. We have to bring most of the stuff indoors when we winterize.

Thanks, I'll try the tape!

7. Back To Top    #7

You could try pushing it on as far as you can and using two hose clamps.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

8. Back To Top    #8

if you use unions in conjunction with hard plumbing...dismantling for the winter is not an issue

let me know if you need some pics of typical plumbing connections
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

The trouble with the fitting is that it probably doesn't have a raised ridge, to allow the clamp to keep it's grip. The part number for the one with the ridge is SP 1091-Z-7 however, there is one small problem - the number for the one without the ridge is... SP 1091-Z-7 You can't just go by the number, look to be sure the adapter has the ridge! If you get one with the ridge, simply push the hose on past the ridge and put the clamp right behind the ridge.

Heavens, I certainly seem fond of typing "ridge" -- anyone care to guess what street I live on?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

10. Back To Top    #10

I had this happen numerous times, and I finally replaced it with hard plumbing and some disconnects.

Do this now and save yourself all the headache in the world.
    18' Round ABG (8000 gallon)
    Hayward X-Stream Cartridge Filter
    1.5hp Hayward PowerFlo Matrix Pump
    80 sq. ft. solar panels
    Goldline automated solar controller

11. Back To Top    #11

Maybe you can glue that end on there permanently, and use unions to take it off.
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

To help the plastic hoses like this slide farther onto the fitting use a haid dryer. Just place the hose on the fitting and heat it with a hair dryer on medium heat as you continue to push the hose on the fitting and it will slide on even farther. I have done this every year until I replaced all my plumbing with PVC during my solar installation.

Also as others mentioned the hase barb with at least one or multiple ridges will make a big difference. This is the style we had and the hair dryer was a must to get the hose over at least two ridges.

Good Luck,

Dennis
    24'x54" Sharkline Matrix by Wilbar International, 15,200 gallons (2015)
    Jacuzzi 75 sq ft Cartridge Filter 1 hp two speed pump
    Solar Heat with Goldline GL-235 Controller
    Intex Krystal Clear Model 28669 SWG
    TF100, SampleSizer, and Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ok, what are "unions".

14. Back To Top    #14

Unions are reusable threaded fittings used to connect two sections of pipe together. They consist of two flanges that butt up against each other with an O-ring in between them; one of the flanges has male threads around the flange, and the other flange has a slip collar that has the female threads. You butt the flanges together, and then screw the slip collar onto the male-threaded flange, which compresses the two butt ends together.

Here's a picture.

24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

15. Back To Top    #15

If you have a spare minute just look back at my posts over the past few years where the word ARRRGH is and you will see we dealt with hoses blowing off steady and losing up to 1000 gals of water each time. We went hard plumbing this year with the disconnects.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

16. Back To Top    #16

Kathy,
    If you go to a local boat store, they sell a higher quality hose clamp that is much better than your "big box" store clamp. They are about double the price but well worth it in some cases.
    Mike
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

17. Back To Top    #17

Can someone please give instructions on how to use the pvc plumbing for my pump to filter section? I've been dealing with my hose blowing off and losing tons of water all year now. Ever since I replaced that original hose it's been a nightmare! I bought a couple of elbows and a long piece of pvc pipe and also a couple of rubber unions. I now need to know what to do with it all
    24' Above-ground Pool, Waterco 165# sand filter with 2HP pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Messymommy, welcome to TFP!!

It'd be best to start your own thread for this

I can tell you everything you need to know about installing pvc pipe However, it's best to do that in your own thread

BTW, get unions, not the 'fernco's (the rubber 'unions').

I'll see you on your separate thread
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

19. Back To Top    #19

I've taken your advice and started another thread called:
    How to change over to hard PVC plumbing on Above Ground Pool
    See you there!
    24' Above-ground Pool, Waterco 165# sand filter with 2HP pump

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by DrC
    To help the plastic hoses like this slide farther onto the fitting use a haid dryer. Just place the hose on the fitting and heat it with a hair dryer on medium heat as you continue to push the hose on the fitting and it will slide on even farther. I have done this every year until I replaced all my plumbing with PVC during my solar installation.

Also as others mentioned the hase barb with at least one or multiple ridges will make a big difference. This is the style we had and the hair dryer was a must to get the hose over at least two ridges.

Good Luck,

Dennis
    I agree with you, using a hair dryer will help soften those hose and allow the pipe to slide on deeper, it has to be slid all the way on then clamped. You don't want to just push it on, you have to work it back and forth if it goes on too easy there is a problem. Also keep in mind the fitting could be worn from age and might need to be replaced.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast