Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aerating to increase pH - is it quickly reversible?

1. Back To Top    #1

Aerating to increase pH - is it quickly reversible?

I'm new here, as you can see. I've not had problems with my pool for the past 3 seasons of ownership, using the typical pool store supplies and trichlor pucks. My TA usually is typically on the higher side (~ 120-140) and I've never measured CYA before. Minimal algae last year along shaded walls of the deep end.

My pool has been covered for the past 3 weeks, since opening, and really has not been used yet except for the hot tub every third day for couple of hours.

Now, my TA is ~ 110 and pH is 7.2. Given the above, I thought that I would try aerating instead of the old fashioned way. Before I would add some Leslie's pool base (NaHCO3?)to get the pH up. If I aerate today and cover the pool tonight, will the pH just go back down again? Do you guys ever aerate to control pH, or do you mainly use to control pH when trying to lower TA?

Thanks.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aerating to increase pH - is it quickly reversible?

Here is the scoop:
    Aeration will raise pH with NO impact on TA.
    Borax will raise pH with minimal impact on TA.
    pH up (soda ash, sodium carbonate) will raise pH and also cause a LARGE increase in TA.
    Baking soda (alkalinity up) will increase TA with only a slight impact on pH

Acid (muriatic or dry) will decrease both pH and TA and it doesn't matter how you put it in, it will do it by the same amount whether you slug the acid or dilute it.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Now, my TA is ~ 110 and pH is 7.2. Given the above, I thought that I would try aerating instead of the old fashioned way.
    I would find those numbers acceptable and do nothing. Which one (or both) are you concerned with.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I concur with Duraleigh. If you are using an unstabilized chlorine the pH will rise on it's own over time. If you are using trichlor (and why are you doing that after reading the forum?) then you would want to use borax since the TA is actually OK for trichlor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I concur with Duraleigh. ... (and why are you doing that after reading the forum?) then you would want to use borax since the TA is actually OK for trichlor.
    OK, OK give me a chance. I only found the forum about 3 days ago.

I wasn't displeased with the numbers. I was just going to try to get the pH up just a bit towards 7.5, more of an experiment with aeration than anything else. I realize that a higher TA is desired for trichlor. My main battles over the 3 years has been the TA creeps up and the pH creeps down.

I will likely considering the wholesale change to BBB later this summer, after I have returned from vacation. Though I might give the borax a shot beforehand. Just ordered a better test kit also.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mokabb
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I concur with Duraleigh. ... (and why are you doing that after reading the forum?) then you would want to use borax since the TA is actually OK for trichlor.
    OK, OK give me a chance. I only found the forum about 3 days ago.
    You mean you've been a member for 3 whole days and you don't have this all mastered yet!
    Quit slacking!

I wasn't displeased with the numbers. I was just going to try to get the pH up just a bit towards 7.5, more of an experiment with aeration than anything else. I realize that a higher TA is desired for trichlor. My main battles over the 3 years has been the TA creeps up and the pH creeps down.
    that is because trichlor eats up TA and drops pH so you put in soda ash to increase the ph which casues the TA to shoot up higher then when you started. It becomes cumulative.
    I will likely considering the wholesale change to BBB later this summer, after I have returned from vacation. Though I might give the borax a shot beforehand. Just ordered a better test kit also.
    Once you get your kit post numbers. It would be very interesting to see where your CYA is. You might have to begin dealing with your pool sooner than you think.
    At any rate, we are here to help you and hold your hand through the difficult times!
    Remember, we don't have the hidden agenda of trying to sell you pool chems (and as many of them as possible!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Not to be too persnickety in my first few posts here, but I will ask one of my questions again. If I raise my pH by aeration today, then cover my pool again for a few days and don't aerate, does the CO2 go back into solution so to speak and lower the pH again if I don't continue the aeration process?

If you don't provide an answer for me, I'll just have to let you know in a couple of days! 8)

Thanks for the replies...

8. Back To Top    #8

Not to be too persnickety in my first few posts here, but I will ask one of my questions again. If I raise my pH by aeration today, then cover my pool again for a few days and don't aerate, does the CO2 go back into solution so to speak and lower the pH again if I don't continue the aeration process?

If you don't provide an answer for me, I'll just have to let you know in a couple of days! 8)

Thanks for the replies...
    no but youi will slow down the outgassing of CO2 and might actually see a pH drop when you uncover. It really depends on where your TA is and how long you keep the pool covered.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks waterbear. I did some aeration today with a little PVC "T" that I connected to my "cleaner - RayVac" return. The pH has increased ~.2 in ~ 7 hours. FWIW, YMMV. Now covered back up with the cover to retain any warmth still in the pool (still only ~ 74 F up here).

10. Back To Top    #10

Since you seem interested in the subject here is some info on TA in depth that talks about why the pH changes from aeration, etc.
    ta-what-is-it-really-t4979.html
    I warn you, it does get into some of the chemistry but simplified.

11. Back To Top    #11

You will be happy to know that I have already read it. And actually understood some of it. Took a bit of chem in college and still use it today to some degree.

Please do NOT send me the test on it until I have read it a few more times.

12. Back To Top    #12

LOL I failed on my first try. Forgot the acid part....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

Please do NOT send me the test on it until I have read it a few more times.
    I will tell you the test in advance so you can study. It's having a pool with a stable pH!

14. Back To Top    #14

I thought I was on "What's my line" Dave, when I saw "guest" posting so eloquently. Then I saw where it said "waterbear". Do I win?
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir